DigdirtJen

Here Fishie Fishie Fishie! :)
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello fishie friends!
I tested my water last week and all the levels are great except for the nitrates which were high. I added some water lettuce and water hyacinth over the weekend. How long does it take for plants to lower the nitrate levels in my pond? Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It probably depends on how big your pond is. Changes will happen quicker in smaller volumes of water.

What were your readings for nitrates? IOW, what do you mean by “high?”

What were the readings for your other water parameters?

DigdirtJen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sorry, i should have included these:
pH - 7.0
Amonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 160 ppm

120 gal pond
2 koi
5 comets

DigdirtJen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm very new at this and to make a long story short, i was sold a bad set up from the beginning. I'm trying to do the best i can with what i have so because of these replies in a different thread, i'm trying to make this work until i can dig a bigger pond. If i'm at the point where i can't correct the nitrates, i guess it's time to give my koi away. I'm looking to the folks out here to help me figure out the best thing to do.

DigdirtJen said:

I hate the thought of giving my koi away, but i'm so worried that they won't be happy until i can get a larger pond dug next spring. The personality of koi are what got me interested in this to start with. I used to know a lady years ago that had an indoor pool in her VERY NICE home that she had converted to a koi pond. Those fish were just so much fun to watch. They each definitely had their own personality. Her koi were of course huge and very happy! I love my little comets too, but there is a big difference in the personalities.
Hi. Honestly it you want to keep them just take close watch of the pond water until you dig the new one. Maybe test the water once a week when you are still feeding them. If the results turn poorly then you will need to make a decision what to do. I can’t imagine the Koi getting that large by next spring that they would cause a huge problem. I don’t know how many other fish you have, but don’t over feed them or buy any new ones until you have them all safe and sound in the new pond!

Ask a Question