High PH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
I just finished converting my bio filter to the skippy filter system. I also added an aerator. When do I add microbe lift products like gel bacteria to my scrubbies? I could have missed it, searched the sites and could not find any info. Temperatures in Ohio in the spriing go up and down, but my water temp is hoovering around 48-50. Another question, how can I get my PH level to stay down? It is always high 9.0. I use Ph down, and occasional get to use a buffer, but this never lasts for longer than a few days before it goes back up. :100: Love this site. You all know so much!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you should have added the gel before the scrubbys went in... you apply it to dry media, let it sit for 1 or 2 hours, then put it in your full of water (pond or dechlorinated) filter, let it sit for another hour or two, then fire up the pump and filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Thanks Koiguy & Dr. D. I have extra scrubbies so I can do this.
My scrubbies were bought from the Skippy people in Michigan. I didn't ask, but assumed they were never used for actual cleaning. My PH has always been high. I use water from my well that comes through a conditioner. The PH is perfect. and the water is not too hard. this has been an issue for 3 years.
Lastly what is your opinion on UV? My pond is green, green green! I was thinking now that I have the new bio filter system with alittle time the green would clear up.
Again many thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Great no UV. This great Ohio weather is turning cold next week. As I was slathering my scrubbies with Gel, I wondered if the weather forcast for next week would affect the bacteria. We are expecting a cold snap on Monday and Tuesday with temperatures in the high 20's-30's at night and day temps. in the high 40's low 50's. I'm pretty detail oriented, but just wondering how effective anything can be at those temps? Maybe this front will move up north to Koiguy before it gets to us. (just kidding)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they say the pl gel will remain active to 45*,(water temp). im from michigan myself, we could have 5" on the ground by wednesday night. so i know your predicument. as for the u.v. if you have one use it; just run it til the algae clears and turn it off. how did you like the gel smell?...if that smell came out of you.. youd need a doctor,huh? NASTY!! but any ways good luck and happy ponding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
The smell was, well what can you say, but nasty! I do not have uv, but thought about it last year when I had green issues. I will check them out. Thanks for the info on the bacteria, maybe they'll hibernate for a few days.

Ask a Question