hil-le' hil-le' (hello in chukchansi)

shellena

I can always figure out how to figure it out!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
hi
i accidentally got into this "hobby" ,( Scientist, fish breeder,Chemists, Horticulturists, Biologists,ect ect ) of ponding! 13 years ago my daughter won a fish at the county carnival.he lived alone and sheltered in her room for about 5 years. someone noticed i had a small pond , (basically a 25 gal prefab pond with water in it from the rain with some frogs in it) and gave me 4 white goldfish because their bowl was too small. so i put them in that lil pond.i added a water feature and lights. easy peasy! i later put "gil" the carnie fish in with them, because he needed friends!!! if i only knew!!!
and here i am today the proud owner of 23 gold/ maybe koi fish, some fri, 5 minnows,tadpoles and froglets,pond snails, 3 trapdoor snails, 20 clams, a crawdad, 2 cattail plants, a water iris that can not be stopped! a 800 gal hot tub turned into one fish pond. i had to convert a 500 gal loomix cow trough into a fish pond due to their amorous activities! i have only lost 3 fish, two due to illness, one sucked into a pump! the sorrow one feels! i had three pond turtles all 3 ran away!!!
all together i have 6 habitats for all my water babies! as for the original 25 gal hole in ground, its back to being just a frog home for those who come and go!
all in all after 10 years of ponding im still a newbie! i look forward to trading ideas with everyone!
whew !!
happy ponding!!
p.s "gil" the carnie fish is still with me - daughter has moved on though!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started in NJ with carnival fish my son and his friends won YEH WON SURE :);)I love it daughter moved on and turtles ran away :LOL:.I don't like iris in a pond or in landscaping boy do they take over .But landscaping can handle them .Took ponds out with them and had to hook a chain to my truck and pull them out and pulled liner out at the same time

shellena

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
I started in NJ with carnival fish my son and his friends won YEH WON SURE :);)I love it daughter moved on and turtles ran away :LOL:.I don't like iris in a pond or in landscaping boy do they take over .But landscaping can handle them .Took ponds out with them and had to hook a chain to my truck and pull them out and pulled liner out at the same time
if i would have known what that blasted plant was i would have said no thank you when the owner of a feed store said " see that black trash bag with the cattails {plant was dormant at the time, and little! } sticking out? do u want it?" should have said no thank you, not yes please! so far i am keeping it at bay! but it is going to win i know! it seems to do well bare rooted with aerators. ( had to be removed by truck you say? something for me to start thinking about thank you

shellena

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
o
Welcome to our group!
um thank you and wow i hope that doesnt happen to me! thats a lot of pond! but congrats to making it all work!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there is a difference in cattails mine are minis They have been in my pond for over 2 years now That is as big as they got .I have mine black and green elephant ears that get no bigger than a foot high each year and then I also have the giant ones .The green ones are the giant ones

Attachments

• 100_7134.JPG
    100_7134.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_7270.JPG
    100_7270.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_7273.JPG
    100_7273.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 100_7250.JPG
    100_7250.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 216

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The Mini Cattails that Sissy refers to are the only Cattails that are suitable for a typical Garden Pond. All other varieties are quite invasive.

shellena

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
The Mini Cattails that Sissy refers to are the only Cattails that are suitable for a typical Garden Pond. All other varieties are quite invasive.
About the cattails I have acquired are straight out of the river by my house, along with some fresh water clams and minnows. I know this is wrong , I brought them all home three years ago and all have flourished well! The river has since dried up three times, so I sorta helped save them!! Trust me I'm being punished by having to take care of all the multiplying they are doing!! Lol

Ask a Question