hil-le' hil-le' (hello in chukchansi)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by shellena, Jun 15, 2016.

1. shellena

shellena I can always figure out how to figure it out!

hi
    i accidentally got into this "hobby" ,( Scientist, fish breeder,Chemists, Horticulturists, Biologists,ect ect ) of ponding! 13 years ago my daughter won a fish at the county carnival.he lived alone and sheltered in her room for about 5 years. someone noticed i had a small pond , (basically a 25 gal prefab pond with water in it from the rain with some frogs in it) and gave me 4 white goldfish because their bowl was too small. so i put them in that lil pond.i added a water feature and lights. easy peasy! i later put "gil" the carnie fish in with them, because he needed friends!!! if i only knew!!!
    and here i am today the proud owner of 23 gold/ maybe koi fish, some fri, 5 minnows,tadpoles and froglets,pond snails, 3 trapdoor snails, 20 clams, a crawdad, 2 cattail plants, a water iris that can not be stopped! a 800 gal hot tub turned into one fish pond. i had to convert a 500 gal loomix cow trough into a fish pond due to their amorous activities! i have only lost 3 fish, two due to illness, one sucked into a pump! the sorrow one feels! i had three pond turtles all 3 ran away!!!
    all together i have 6 habitats for all my water babies! as for the original 25 gal hole in ground, its back to being just a frog home for those who come and go!
    all in all after 10 years of ponding im still a newbie! i look forward to trading ideas with everyone!
    whew !!
    happy ponding!!
    p.s "gil" the carnie fish is still with me - daughter has moved on though!

shellena, Jun 15, 2016
    haver79 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. shellena

sissy sissy

I started in NJ with carnival fish my son and his friends won YEH WON SURE :);)I love it daughter moved on and turtles ran away :LOL:.I don't like iris in a pond or in landscaping boy do they take over .But landscaping can handle them .Took ponds out with them and had to hook a chain to my truck and pull them out and pulled liner out at the same time

sissy, Jun 15, 2016
    shellena likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. shellena

if i would have known what that blasted plant was i would have said no thank you when the owner of a feed store said " see that black trash bag with the cattails {plant was dormant at the time, and little! } sticking out? do u want it?" should have said no thank you, not yes please! so far i am keeping it at bay! but it is going to win i know! it seems to do well bare rooted with aerators. ( had to be removed by truck you say? something for me to start thinking about thank you

shellena, Jun 16, 2016
  4. shellena

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group!

addy1, Jun 16, 2016
  5. shellena

Nepen

welcome to our group. :)

Nepen, Jun 16, 2016
  6. shellena

o
    um thank you and wow i hope that doesnt happen to me! thats a lot of pond! but congrats to making it all work!

shellena, Jun 16, 2016
  7. shellena

thank you so much! i cant wait to get know everyone!

shellena, Jun 16, 2016
  8. shellena

thank you lol

shellena, Jun 16, 2016
  9. shellena

sissy sissy

there is a difference in cattails mine are minis They have been in my pond for over 2 years now That is as big as they got .I have mine black and green elephant ears that get no bigger than a foot high each year and then I also have the giant ones .The green ones are the giant ones

Attached Files:

sissy, Jun 16, 2016
  10. shellena

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

The Mini Cattails that Sissy refers to are the only Cattails that are suitable for a typical Garden Pond. All other varieties are quite invasive.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 17, 2016
  11. shellena

Becky Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Becky, Jun 17, 2016
  12. shellena

About the cattails I have acquired are straight out of the river by my house, along with some fresh water clams and minnows. I know this is wrong , I brought them all home three years ago and all have flourished well! The river has since dried up three times, so I sorta helped save them!! Trust me I'm being punished by having to take care of all the multiplying they are doing!! Lol

shellena, Jun 23, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question