Hobby Lobby Lotus Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I just finished reading ALL of the posts in the Aquatic Plants Forum (all 44 pages of it) and I have pages and pages of new ideas for plants in the spring. One question that I haven't found an answer to though is - did anyone ever have any success with the Lotus seeds that they got from Hobby Lobby (or Michael's)? I read that several of you had tried them or were going to try them but I never really got a feel for how it worked out in the long run. I am in Zone 5b and I would like to give Lotus a try. I appreciate any advice you may have - thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did that--seeds from Michael's. Lotus grew/overwintered twice before the las time where I think it froze in the garage and died. Flowered the second year (that's what I was told it would do if grown from a seed). I kept mine in a large pot near the pond because I didn't want the height or aggressive nature of the plant to upset the pond's balance. I'm currently trying another I was gifted, this time suspended below the ice level, in a pot, from a log I have in my pond. They're easy to start but you have to watch it doesn't get fungus. Changing out the water and/or an aerator helps until you can get it transplanted in the late spring. They like a lot of heat/sun.

You have to 'break' the end of the seed's outer shell so it can start. There's threads/articles about how to start them.

I'm in 5a.

Just my experience.

Michael

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get them off ebay 4.95 free shipping from California istanbul -le (409)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to start lotus from seeds gathered from decorative seed heads years ago, so unless they've gone to a radiation process to kill the seeds (unlikely), they should be fertile.

I would score the seeds around the "equator" with a file until I hit white meat. Soak in water, give a little light, and within a week they should split, and within two weeks there should be a lotus seedling, with roots or roots on the way.

Ask a Question