Hocking Hills Pond Build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Almost 2 years ago, I started the process of assembling parts and stuff to do a pond build/expansion to connect and expand my existing pond that came with my house.

P3030259-002.JPG

Now, 2 years later, in a new home, I am finally starting the project. The finished product should be a 1.800- 2,000 gal pond with a small (6 ft) stream/waterfall. This will be a new home for the majority of my koi left in the old pond at the old house.

Here is at the start of day one of the dig, and others will follow. This first pic is awful. But its the only one from the start I have:
20140510_163938.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is after a short evening of digging

Attachments

• 20140512_201144[1].jpg
    20140512_201144[1].jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is the product of 1.5 hours of digging on the third evening. The deep spot is ~26 inches deep, the second cut is 14 inches deep, and the top cut is 11" deep so far. I've done more since, but didn't take a picture and tornado warnings and rain have keep me from the hole for the last 48 hours. Hopefully, more digging tonight.

The plan is to get everything down another 6-10 inches and then build up to meet the final dimensions with depth to 36 -40 inches in the deep spot and 24" in most of the rest of the pond. It will have 2 pumps, one working a skimmer (skimmer arrive Monday or Tuesday), the other feeding the stream/ waterfall. I have a pressure filter, a UV light, and am planning to make the waterfall have some additional biofilter/finishing capacity.

Attachments

• 20140513_194324[1].jpg
    20140513_194324[1].jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Looks like a really nice start. Where will you place your skimmer and how will the stream/waterfall feed into pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks like a really nice start. Where will you place your skimmer and how will the stream/waterfall feed into pond?

The skimmer will be at the wider shallower end positioned to the right of the curve, the waterfall/stream will start up on the bank above the deep end and curving into that area from the right as well. The stream will be roughly 3 drops and 2 pools before dropping over a ledge into the pond. My wife wants good water sounds to listen to while sitting on the back deck. Additional features to be added will be a small bridge over it, and a platform on the inside curve to sit and relax. But that will come much later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think your pics are upside down.... Or is it me, LOL! Nice work so far.
I realized after I posted, the the referenced picture was facing the other way. So right is left and left is right. But inside curve and wide parts are still the same LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thought I'd be helpful and post your pix right side up for easier view:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
The skimmer will be at the wider shallower end positioned to the right of the curve, the waterfall/stream will start up on the bank above the deep end and curving into that area from the right as well. The stream will be roughly 3 drops and 2 pools before dropping over a ledge into the pond. My wife wants good water sounds to listen to while sitting on the back deck. Additional features to be added will be a small bridge over it, and a platform on the inside curve to sit and relax. But that will come much later.

Sounds good! One recommendation: I had very similar "wife" requirements building mine. I say "wife", but we both wanted what you describe. I built a three tier waterfall, totalling about 3.5 ft height; but my 4000 gph pump ended up creating a very LOUD three tiered waterfall. The noise filled our entire backyard so much that it was uncomfortable and difficult to hear each other talk. I ended up siphoning about half of the water off and through a protein skimmer. Now it's a very pleasant sound, and nice to look at. So, I guess my point is to be careful balancing noise, waterflow, and visual aesthetics.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I realized after I posted, the the referenced picture was facing the other way. So right is left and left is right. But inside curve and wide parts are still the same LOL
Thought I'd be helpful and post your pix right side up for easier view:

View attachment 70189

View attachment 70190

View attachment 70192
Thank you, for fixing the pictures. I'm not sure how to keep that from happening next post. Now I just need the rain to stop and dry things out.

timvz:

I'm using 2 pumps a 2500 gallon for the main pump, and a 750 for the skimmer. The total head should be 2.5 feet and I"m hoping to keep the "falls" in each drop down to 6 inches. I'm toying with only going to have the 2500 gallon pump feed the falls, but with the head height it may not be as important. The lip of the first drop is 16 inches wide,m and each of the next lip will be ~ 20", and the final is planned for~24 inches wide. Hop[efully that will help with "noise" vs "background." I'm also using 1.25 in piping which should further slow things down. I have the same concerns as you did.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Sounds like your falls should be very tranquil. Looking forward to seeing how things progress!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is where things stand as of this morning. It was really too muddy from all the rain, last night. But I couldn't help myself, and got all the rest of the dirt out and started filling the dirt back in around the edge.

20140516_073946.jpg

So now its time to finish adding the rest of the extra height on all sides, put in the liner and start filling. My waterfall box arrived yesterday. But the skimmer won't be here until Tuesday Most of the dirt will be used with the stream/falls or around the pond for getting the edge higher and the ground sloped the right way.

No digging tonight as here are kids to take places, wife comes home from training, and my mother and uncle are here tomorrow night. So the house will need to be taken care of tonight if I want to spend the time tomorrow working on this project.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20140516_073918.jpg
    20140516_073918.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 20140516_073932.jpg
    20140516_073932.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Ask a Question