Holding back Rocks

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Last south bank task is coming up. I'm going to distribute sorta egg size colorful rocks over the exposed liner. These rocks will not be glued down. Without a underwater barrier these rocks will fall to the bottom along the side wall and accumulate. Mulch is to be scattered over the pond side rocks for a softer look. Following are two proposed barriers.

The first idea is to lay excess stones along the underwater slanting sided wall. These larger stones should create a one layer stone barrier. No adhesive will be used. The natural stone barrier sections will have a peak and valley shape. Careful placement should prevent open gaps.

The second is two glue down black foam pipe insulation sections to create a barrier. I would seal the sections with minimally expanding spray foam to prevent gunt build up inside the sections. As with the natural stone barrier the sections will be have a peak and valley shape.

Your options and suggestions please. Thank you my friends.

Btw, the glued down natural moss has been a great success. It really camouflaged the uprigh liner side wall. I used 3M's best exterior spray adhesive.

image.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think the glue on pipe insulation stuff might be good if it can hold the rocks up. Never used that stuff but heard it works good in between rocks. Could you use some glued on moss too?
Guess you could try the w/o gluing rocks one first to see if it will hold up and not avalanche into the pond. All it would take would be a snake or some kind of critter on it to maybe get it rolling.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The first idea is to lay excess stones along the underwater slanting sided wall. These larger stones should create a one layer stone barrier. No adhesive will be used. The natural stone barrier sections will have a peak and valley shape. Careful placement should prevent open gaps.

I would go with this option. Definitely a natural look. And the easiest.

Ask a Question