Holding tank recommendations needed

Reaction score
I am planning on vacuuming my pond soon and am considering relocating the fish to a holding tank while I do the job. I think it may be less stressful for them (and me). I cannot obtain a 150 gal stock tank (preferred) due to my location and vehicle restrictions, so I was considering purchasing a kiddie pool. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, easy to assemble, safe pool or similar contraption? I heard of pools with algaecide coatings killing fish and want to avoid that at all costs. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
A small pool is large enough for me, I am not worried about that. I was looking for advice on the brand because I am concerned about the material.

Is an Intex, 8' x 30" Easy Set™ Above Ground Swimming Pool acceptable for fish?

Attachments

• Intex pool.jpg
    Intex pool.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
that would work fine

you could even drop a net in your pond and corral them into a section while you do the other section and then repeat....like what they do in shark tanks at the aquarium...this might be less stressful because their water will still be filtered and they wont have to be captured and transfered to another tank/pond

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Bunnymp i dont believe running a vac will hurt your fish.
go slow and dont chase your fish
if you got to go wild ,a small plastic kiddie pool would work well..

Reaction score
bunnymp said:
thanks, I am more worried about them coming to me. They like to swim around my legs when I am in there and they are little.

they should naturally swim away if the vaccuum comes anywhere close to them

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I put a fresh trash can liner in a 55 gallon drum when I need to provide a temporary home. Drop a smal circulating pump and or an air stone and they will be fine.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I used a "wet set" 250 gallon pool $8.00 at meijers, 6 foot round,15 inches deep...12 inches of water is 210 gallons. i bought 2 of them at that price. plus the nieces and nephews liked it.

Reaction score
I think it will be less stressful for the fish to leave them in the pond. They're not likely to swim up your pond vac. If they do swim too close to the vac, I'd go with c2c7390's suggestion of a net corral.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I am planning on vacuuming my pond soon and am considering relocating the fish to a holding tank while I do the job. I think it may be less stressful for them (and me). I cannot obtain a 150 gal stock tank (preferred) due to my location and vehicle restrictions, so I was considering purchasing a kiddie pool. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, easy to assemble, safe pool or similar contraption? I heard of pools with algaecide coatings killing fish and want to avoid that at all costs. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you rent, or buy, an Oase PondVac4 system you won't need to take the fish out of the pond. This system vacuums the water up the hose, then when the tank is full, the tank empties through the outlet hose that has a nylon mesh bag on the end of it. All the debris that's sucked up is trapped in the bag, while the "cleaned" pond water is simply returned to the pond. Sure it takes time, but so does removing all the fish, etc. This system can be run continuously, no need to shut it off and empty it. It's all automatic.

Try D-Solv 9. Sprinkle it over the surface of the water.....wait.....it binds to the debris and then gently lifts it off the bottom where it floats on the surface where you're ready with the vacuum. Simple. Easy. No mess.

I do this for approximately 30 clients each and every Spring. Never had a problem.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you rent, or buy, an Oase PondVac4 system you won't need to take the fish out of the pond. This system vacuums the water up the hose, then when the tank is full, the tank empties through the outlet hose that has a nylon mesh bag on the end of it. All the debris that's sucked up is trapped in the bag, while the "cleaned" pond water is simply returned to the pond. Sure it takes time, but so does removing all the fish, etc. This system can be run continuously, no need to shut it off and empty it. It's all automatic.

Try D-Solv 9. Sprinkle it over the surface of the water.....wait.....it binds to the debris and then gently lifts it off the bottom where it floats on the surface where you're ready with the vacuum. Simple. Easy. No mess.

I do this for approximately 30 clients each and every Spring. Never had a problem.
Old post -- from 2009.

Ask a Question