Home stretch on my DIY pond

Reaction score
I built a small pond a few years ago........and loved it so much I wanted a much bigger one. I have been working on this one in my spare time, so it has take me almost a year to complete it. I dug out the pond by hand (stress therapy), to find out two inches under the sand is iron ore rock, so it took nine months to dig, but everything else has happened over the last five weeks. Here is a pic of my pond after I lined it and put in water. ( I will have to post in several times to get my pics in)

Attachments

• Picture 1165.jpg
    Picture 1165.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 621
Reaction score
I built a small pond a few years ago........and loved it so much I wanted a much bigger one. I have been working on this one in my spare time, so it has take me almost a year to complete it. I dug out the pond by hand (stress therapy), to find out two inches under the sand is iron ore rock, so it took nine months to dig, but everything else has happened over the last five weeks. Here is a pic of my pond after I lined it and put in water. ( I will have to post in several times to get my pics in)

Reaction score
In this pic you can see the Skippy filter behind the waterfall (man does that thing work....two days and my pond was almost clear!) There is still alot of work to be done....tonight we will start putting flagstone around the pond, but we still need to add more pebbles, do the landscaping, finish hiding the liner, finish mortaring stones....you know how it goes! I will post more pics soon, but I am having a hard time deciding whether to flagstone the sides of the stream or to do rocks and mortar them together like on the sides of the waterfall basin. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Picture 1177.jpg
    Picture 1177.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Picture 1178.jpg
    Picture 1178.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 549
Reaction score
In this pic you can see the Skippy filter behind the waterfall (man does that thing work....two days and my pond was almost clear!) There is still alot of work to be done....tonight we will start putting flagstone around the pond, but we still need to add more pebbles, do the landscaping, finish hiding the liner, finish mortaring stones....you know how it goes! I will post more pics soon, but I am having a hard time deciding whether to flagstone the sides of the stream or to do rocks and mortar them together like on the sides of the waterfall basin. Any suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! you can put in 5 pictures per post.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! you can put in 5 pictures per post.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
warren_tax said:

I would do flagstone with small rocks. I used flagstone in az with crushed granite, it ended up looking real natural. The crushed granite was the same color as the flagstone.

Love the waterfall, and the stone work, you are doing great!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
warren_tax said:

I would do flagstone with small rocks. I used flagstone in az with crushed granite, it ended up looking real natural. The crushed granite was the same color as the flagstone.

Love the waterfall, and the stone work, you are doing great!

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 2nd fall, from the waterfall basin to the stream. The second picture is the waterfall weir I made coming out of the skippy filter. That was my DH idea.....I was going to use a #5 storage bin like the youtube guy makes! Anyway feedback and suggestions are always appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 1166.jpg
    Picture 1166.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Picture 1170.jpg
    Picture 1170.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 487
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 2nd fall, from the waterfall basin to the stream. The second picture is the waterfall weir I made coming out of the skippy filter. That was my DH idea.....I was going to use a #5 storage bin like the youtube guy makes! Anyway feedback and suggestions are always appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Lol!! I was pretty proud of it (for a girl anyway :regular_waving_emot ) My husband told me when I finished the waterfall, the base of the skippy (it is rocked and mortared around the whole back) and the majority of the base of the waterfall basin that the only thing that would have made it look better was if he had done it! (I think he was kidding) Thanks for the encouragement! I look at all of these beautiful ponds on here and can't wait for the day when mine is done and I can just enjoy it! In the meantime I am just enjoying working on it, as it is a huge stress reliever!

Reaction score
Lol!! I was pretty proud of it (for a girl anyway :regular_waving_emot ) My husband told me when I finished the waterfall, the base of the skippy (it is rocked and mortared around the whole back) and the majority of the base of the waterfall basin that the only thing that would have made it look better was if he had done it! (I think he was kidding) Thanks for the encouragement! I look at all of these beautiful ponds on here and can't wait for the day when mine is done and I can just enjoy it! In the meantime I am just enjoying working on it, as it is a huge stress reliever!

Ask a Question