Home stretch on my DIY pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your pond is beautiful !!!!! I have egg rock in the bottom of my pond. I like the look of rocks. I've never had a problem with them. They have been in there for years. But, I do get in my pond and kinda scootch them around. Plus when I top off, I put the hose clear to the bottom to help keep them clean. I love your waterfall, great job ..

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
warren_tax said:
Here is a picture of the 2nd fall, from the waterfall basin to the stream. The second picture is the waterfall weir I made coming out of the skippy filter. That was my DH idea.....I was going to use a #5 storage bin like the youtube guy makes! Anyway feedback and suggestions are always appreciated! Thanks!
I have a piece twice that size of flagstone that I want to use as one of the many weir's I have planning .Yours is great

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
warren_tax said:
Here is a picture of the 2nd fall, from the waterfall basin to the stream. The second picture is the waterfall weir I made coming out of the skippy filter. That was my DH idea.....I was going to use a #5 storage bin like the youtube guy makes! Anyway feedback and suggestions are always appreciated! Thanks!
I have a piece twice that size of flagstone that I want to use as one of the many weir's I have planning .Yours is great

Reaction score
Question for the pros.....my pump is attached to a skimmer, so it is pulling water from the top, should I also have it pulling water from the middle or closer to the bottom? Should I put a smaller pump in just to circulate the water at the bottom?

Reaction score
Question for the pros.....my pump is attached to a skimmer, so it is pulling water from the top, should I also have it pulling water from the middle or closer to the bottom? Should I put a smaller pump in just to circulate the water at the bottom?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not a pro pro, but my pump pulls from the skimmer and the bottom, you need to be circulating the bottom water also. You may want a ball valve to be able to adjust the flow, i.e. more from skimmer vs more from bottom and visa versa.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not a pro pro, but my pump pulls from the skimmer and the bottom, you need to be circulating the bottom water also. You may want a ball valve to be able to adjust the flow, i.e. more from skimmer vs more from bottom and visa versa.

Reaction score
I feel like we are getting closer....I just have to finish the back of my waterfall, fix some of the flagstones the dog knocked loose, and still remove the pebbles from the bottom. A friend of mine is giving me an extra uv filter he has (what a blessing!) and I need to refigure my skimmer/pump, so tweaks and touches and a little more landscaping and we are done! What a project this has been!

Attachments

• Picture 1220.jpg
    Picture 1220.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 349
  • Picture 1221.jpg
    Picture 1221.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 337

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking great! And you will be tweaking for years, if you are like the rest of us.

Reaction score
No new pictures to post, but man have I been busy! I tried to pull out the pebbles with the pond full, no dice. Who would have thought 24 little goldfish could poo so much!! I am assuming that was what the little brown floating particles were......gross!!! I had to drain 90% of the pond, get in and pull them that way. Unfortunately, I could not get all of the muck out of the bottom, but I got most of it. When I filled the pond back up, it was cloudy with all of the dirt and poo, but I cranked up the pump and figured Skippy would do the work for me! In two days it went from sediment stirred to pea soup! ARGH!!! I guess the 100+ Texas heat didn't help any. My pond mentor came over, gave me some suggestions, and I started making changes. First, I changed from using sump pump hosing from the pump to filter and used PVC. I have a 4800 gph pump, but was only getting about 1500 gph. After changing to PVC I am getting about 3700 gph! Then I branched off of my pump and went to an old sand filter that I have. The way it is set up, I can either run to the Skippy and waterfall, to the sand filter, or both at the same time. I currently have it running to both equally. I put the discharge from the sand filter at the bottom of the opposite side of the pond, to create a bit of a swirl on the bottom. The first two days it kept everything cloudy, but now it is clearing a bit. I also added four bubble stones around the pond, because I think the oxygen levels were low in the pond. (Fish hung out near the waterfall, nowhere else. Now they are EVERYWHERE!!) Things have started clearing, the whole setup has been running for about 60 hours now. The pond is still a bit cloudy, kind of light green, I can see a few of the big rocks at the bottom. I have been checking my levels in the pond...everything is perfect but my water is a bit alkaline. That has come down some the last few days...what does that mean? Hoping to get a UV running this weekend, maybe that will really make a difference. I am concerned at how slowly things are clearing....is it because my pond is around 10,000 gallons? Bigger will clear more slowly? I have another pump that was given to me. I am considering hooking it up to another skippy to replace the sand filter. Should I need two skippy's and pumps? WILL I EVER BE DONE WITH THIS STINKING POND????? :D

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot....I also was given one of those preformed funny shaped ponds (like they sell at Lowes) probably holds 100 - 150 gallons or so, I put it up on blocks at the back end of my pond, (some people have cars on blocks....I have ponds on blocks....good grief) and filled it with pots of cannas, grasses, and other bog plants and made a "floating bog" the preformed pond sits about 2" below the surface of the water, and has a small 4 x 7 opening that the fish use to get in the bog and swim around. Looks pretty neat. Needs more plants though. I am having trouble finding plants to put in there. Nobody sells bog plants in Podunk, Texas. Have to travel to a bigger city. Any ideas on plants I can get at a local nursery that will thrive in a bog?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That pea soup and cloudy condition came from all that muck in the bottom that the gravel and rocks trapped. It is a bloom and it will eventually clear up. Some floating plants will help a lot.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
warren_tax said:
Oh, I forgot....I also was given one of those preformed funny shaped ponds (like they sell at Lowes) probably holds 100 - 150 gallons or so, I put it up on blocks at the back end of my pond, (some people have cars on blocks....I have ponds on blocks....good grief) and filled it with pots of cannas, grasses, and other bog plants and made a "floating bog" the preformed pond sits about 2" below the surface of the water, and has a small 4 x 7 opening that the fish use to get in the bog and swim around. Looks pretty neat. Needs more plants though. I am having trouble finding plants to put in there. Nobody sells bog plants in Podunk, Texas. Have to travel to a bigger city. Any ideas on plants I can get at a local nursery that will thrive in a bog?

Here is a list of bog plants, at the bottom is "normal" plants that they have grown in a bog. I have grown some of the normal decorative grasses in a mini bog and they are doing great. Lirope another small grass type plant is thriving.

Bog Plants Arrowhead
Assorted Taros
Bog Lily
Cannas
Chinese Water Chestnut
Creeping Jenny
Dwarf Horsetail
Dwarf Papyrus
Dwarf Variegated Sweetflag Giant Melon Sword
Japanese Iris
Lizard's Tail
Lousiana Iris
Pickerel Rush
Red Stemmed Sagittaria
Ribbon Grass
Ruby Creeper
Ruby Eye Arrowhead Sensitive Plant
Siberian Iris
Spider Lily
Spike Rush
Star Grass
Thalia
Variegated Spider Lily
White Bull Rush
Zebra Rush

Plants that are invasive in the Bog (Think Twice Before Planting)
Horsetail
Aquatic Mint
Chameleon Plant
Parrot's Feather
Red Stemmed Thalia
Cattails
Umbrella Palm
Yellow Iris

Other Plants (experiment!) Bishops Weed
Crocasmia
Hostas
Astilbes