homemade check valves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Interesting... but the nail or metal piece used for the retention pin should be stainless or brass to prevent it from rusting out. At the very least, galvanized. I also wonder how that would effect flow rates. Since the ball would occupy a fair amount of space. But for many applications, that might not be of any concern. I would be concerned however if using this in a pond application on a filtration system.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
flow rate issues could be adressed by upping diameter of valve build. 1" hose used, stepup to 1&1/4" valve or 1&1/2" if necessary.

Reaction score
KoiGuy,

I missed this post until now (playing a little catch-up after spending all summer working at the cabin).

I really like the idea here. Very simple and inexpensive. Although I think that I might opt to omit the keeper pin and install a stainless steel or brass spring instead. If the spring was tapered or conical in shape, the wide end could rest upon the lip of the next fitting and the narrow end on the check ball. Such a spring would add some to the price, but I believe that it would make the assembly process easier and the valve more reliable especially in a horizontal or inverted vertical orientation. Otherwise (with just the keeper pin) I think that you would wish to install the valve vertically with the O-ring seat down and the check ball above and rely upon gravity and / or flow and pressure to fix the check ball to the O-ring seat. I would have to experiment with his original concept (with the pin and w/o a spring) and judge how well it functions in different positions.

One thing that I really did not understand was when he mentioned substituting the "bouncy-ball" or superball as the check ball. That is a very good idea as the rubber ball would seal without the O-ring as he mentioned. However, when he was explaining it, he cut the ball almost into a semi-sphere. Why wouldn't you simply leave it a whole sphere? The purpose of doing that elluded me.

Thanks for the post/video!

Catfishnut

Reaction score
I have seen that video when I was searching for home made water pumps to use on my shallow well. Many of these home made valves like these are used for low pressure water wells or single stroke water pumps that get used by home steaders/preppers. I am not sure this style would work well in high pressure/volume system like pond systems. They are also design to be used in a vertical appliation where the weight of the water pushed them back down. As satated they would need a spring if used in a horizontal application.
I did see on youtube a home made one where the guy did use a spring and instead of a ball, made a flat "flapper" instead of a ball which would probably be a lot better.

Ask a Question