Homemade Dog Food

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For those who were interested in my homemade dog food recipe: we made a dog food that was 75% "bulk" meat - beef, turkey or chicken - and the remaining 25% was organ meats (this is crucial for dogs), whole eggs, fish, some kind of grain (oats or rice mainly) and vegetables. We learned when our local store put out the discounted meats and we would load up on ground beef, steaks, roasts, whole and pieces of chickens, ground turkey, pork, lamb, etc all at deeply discounted prices. If I had bone in chicken I would cook it - skin, bones and all - in the pressure cooker until it was soft enough to mash the bones. And I'd use the broth from that process, too. For any other kind of meat I'd put the whole thing - meat, organs, vegetables, eggs (I would blend the eggs - shell and all - first) - into big roasting pans, add some kind of liquid (low salt canned broth or my broth from pressure cooking the chickens generally, but even water was fine) and cook it in the oven, until it was mashable. Usually took an hour or more. I would buy big bags of mixed frozen vegetables and we would keep the scraps of anything we had used for ourselves - broccoli stems, carrot ends, etc. Just about everything goes for dogs. The only thing they say dogs shouldn't have is onions and garlic - but honestly that might have crept in some too. Sometimes they got canned beans or some leftover plain pasta mixed in. It was a great way to use up leftovers from our own meals. We got really creative with the meat we used - whole roast? Chop it up to speed cooking. We'd buy whatever was in the discounted bin, as long as it wasn't marinated, brined, smoked or otherwise pre-treated. We eat very little pork and no lamb, but the dogs got both.

When the whole thing was done, I would add a good amount of some kind of oil - olive oil, coconut oil, beef tallow, good bacon grease - they loved it all. I would often stir in some canned pumpkin for fiber and added nutrients and over the years we learned that dogs LOVE rosemary, parsley, basil, etc. in their food. They want their food to taste good, too, and herbs are good for them for a variety of reasons. At the very end I would salt the whole batch - dogs need salt just like we do. When we fed them we would add a scoop of good yogurt or cottage cheese to the bowl once or twice a week. We also tried to make sure they got some kind of fish a couple of times a week - a can of sardines in oil, a can of tuna or salmon, etc. They LOVED fish day!

When we were really rolling with dog food production, we would make 30 lbs of a recipe at once and then freeze it in containers that were enough for the two dogs for 3 or 4 days at a time. Thawing dog food twice a week is a simple process when you know it's so much better for them. Depending on the size of your dogs that amount may last a week or it may last a month.

I think the main thing that helped with the itching was reducing the amount of grain they were getting - commercial dog foods are still sometimes 70% grain - and improving the quality of oil in their foods. You don't need to buy the best eggs or highest quality meats - we bought the eggs that were 59 cents a dozen. The quality of whole, real food is so much better than any commercial dog food you can buy. It makes me sad to think of the dogs we had over the years who ate garbage, because I wasn't savvy enough to realize the commercial dog food producers weren't all that concerned with my dogs staying healthy.

The internet is full of dog food recipes - but once you get the basic formula you can pretty much use whatever is available, affordable and easy for you to work with.

Sorry so long - this is one thing I was truly passionate about. For those who didn't read my initial post - we had a sweet little dog who was diagnosed with blood cancer and we were told she wouldn't live six weeks without chemo. I decided I would make it the best six weeks of her life and feed her like a princess. She went on to live six more years and died peacefully in her sleep. A miracle? Maybe. But the only thing we changed was what she was getting in her bowl every day. She went from a tired, lifeless bag of bones with a coat that was oily, itchy, and smelly with cloudy eyes and itchy ears to a plump, energetic little ball of joy almost overnight. Her coat got shiny and fluffy again, her eyes cleared up, she smelled good, she wanted to play and go for walks - even the pads on her feet got soft and smooth again.

10/10 recommend cooking for your dogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , great nutrition for your pooches ! At one time we had 9 of our own dogs and a foster dog , so we too are dog lovers.....we now only have three.

We fed raw for many years and fed a percentage or organ meat, muscle meat and bone. We belonged to a raw feeding coop out of New Youk and would pick up food once a month. Obviously we needed extra freezers - LOL !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
No kibble here either...At one point when I lived in the Adirondacks my Husband and I would go over to Vermont twice a month for organic chicken and turkey...What we wouldn't do for our dogs...At the time my one rottie had a muscle wasting desease and we were able to extend his life feeding raw and organic....I have always had at least two dogs (five at one time) but now I only have one left and am feeling all 70 of my years...I don't think I have the energy for another when she goes (that's IF she goes before me:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I love kibble and wish I could buy a good human chow :). My pets live long healthy lives with little effort on my part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A true benefit to feeding raw, is reduced tartar on their teeth and much less " waste" to pick up in the yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Funny that you say that @Tula - we discovered our little dog had cancer when we took her to the vet to have some teeth pulled. They had to run blood work before surgery and discovered the abnormal WBC count, so obviously no dental surgery for her, either. BUT after a couple of months of homemade dog food (we didn't feed her raw because her teeth were so poor) we realized her teeth were cleaner, her breath was fresh and the teeth that were previously loose in her mouth were once again firmly in place.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pups eat grain free kibble, freeze dry raw food and added nutrients. per dog food advisor and other sources a good food. Treats freeze dried liver. I buy multiple different protein sources, fish, bison, beef etc and mix them together. They get minimal left over people food.

Other hubby fed our yorkies people food, chicken,etc, all of them loss their teeth. Three died of cancer one Cushing disease.
He obviously did not put the effort you put into your food. @Lisak1 which I think is fantastic. At that time I did nothing but work to support him. (Disabled).

Our babies now get cooked eggs, not much more (people food wise). They get pancreatitis real easy. Our 10 yr old still has all her teeth and per the vet extremely healthy.
She gets ill if given people chicken or turkey.

Yorkies have issues with their jaws and teeth they need hard food to chew. I also give the dental chews which help with tartar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try giving them raw chicken feet. Those really help clean the teeth. I used to cut the toes off for our small dog. A whole foot was too much for him, but he could handle single toes.

Kibble is actually a major cause of build up on the teeth. Raw bones are much better for cleaning them. Raw fed dogs very rarely if ever need their teeth cleaned.

Also grain free kibble has been linked to heart problems in dogs. The good news is that those problems will resolve when the diet is changed back to include the grains in the dog food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@WaterGardener It's really amazing what a raw fed diet does for a dog's dental health!!!

The coop we belonged to offered " complete" mixes which had the correct balance of muscle, organ and bone, which was a big help feeding so many large dogs.

https://www.farmdograw.com/

The above is the coop we belonged to for the longest stretch of time, it was very well run. My Pet Carnivore is another good company, but pricey if using for multiple giant breed dogs.

Our toy poodle was fed a raw diet prior to coming to our house, chicken necks etc.......but I won't feel them to her any longer after she ended up with an emergency endoscopy from eating too large a bite of raw.......she is an over enthusiast eater !!! I feed her Stella and Chewys raw patties and I mix them with liquid....taking no chances on her choking again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I also make my dogs food it so much better. Be carefully with pork some dogs can't handle it. I think it's more the smaller breads.
AKC

Biotin deficiency — Feeding raw eggs can lead to biotin deficiency, as egg whites contain avidin, an enzyme that prevents absorption of biotin in the body. Biotin is a vitamin that supports healthy skin, metabolism, cells, and digestion. Biotin deficiencies are rare in dogs, but can happen. Copied from the AKC web site.

Cured bacon utilizes nitrates and nitrites, such as sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. Just felt the need to point out " good bacon" is uncured.

I don't feed my dogs any raw meats. I tend to go with human standards for food safety. Dogs may come from wild wolf's but have lived with humans for hundreds of years eating cooked scraps and may have lost some of the wilds precautions to diseases. I feel this hold more to the smaller breads of dog and all my dogs are small. This is a very controversial topic that dose not have one simple answer.

I also make some of my fishes food. I put it in a blender then spread it out on a sheet of glass, dry it in the hot summer sun and scape it off with a razor to make flakes.

I use one rule for what I eat and what I feed my pets. If it is processed it has been changed not for nutrition but for profit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree @fishlips - everyone's experience is different. We were never choosy about which brand of dry dog food we bought. We had a houseful of kids to feed - the dogs got whatever was on sale. Had we been more careful with the type of food we chose, we may have had a different experience.

Learning about how standard dog food is made is rather eye opening. To me, it's no wonder so many dogs succumb to cancer. Quality matters for them the same as it does for us. I've read many of the dos and don'ts for dog food preparation, but I also remember all the farm dogs I knew when I was growing up. They ate whatever the family ate - the leftovers and scraps were all put in a bowl and they happily ate them and lived long, healthy lives. I think whatever Whole Foods they get is going to be exponentially better than whatever Purina puts in a bag.

When our little dog died peacefully in her sleep, our vet's response was "do you have any idea how lucky you are? That RARELY happens!" Knowing that she had reached the end of her natural life - after her six week prognosis six years prior - was a great comfort to us when she was gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Biotin deficiency from feeding eggs is rare. Also it would take a lot of eggs every day for that to happen

In a study using rats they had to feed 20% of the diet's protein source to create a deficiency. Feeding a raw egg every day would not be a problem, especially not for a larger sized dog. Not sure how much protein that would be for a small dog.

Last edited:

Ask a Question