Homemade Filter

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Well so far, all I see is two containers connected with plumbing. No details on what is inside the containers.
The concept is sound if the media is right. I would make a Doc filter out of the trashcan and a polishing filter out of the lower one using a filter mat and activated carbon.

Reaction score
Ditto. Hard to see lettering. I'm not sure about that hard pipe going at an angle like that...how will you keep it in there? Are you planning on using flex pipe for that instead?

I just don't see how you can clamp a pipe that is hard PVC like that in.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Oh sorry. I was planning on having the pipe be more like a straight piece, an angled elbow, a straight piece going at an angle, another elbow, and a straight piece. The ends would be siliconed to the filters. Sorry for not showing it, I am not the best google sketchuper. :banghead3:

The green thing is a trash can with filter media, it is a settling tank. The black thing is a plastic storage tub with biospheres inside. It is the biofilter.

Reaction score
Are you talking about 90 degree angle elbows? Just be warned that the more angles you have, the more friction it will create for your pump. So, lots of angles are best avoided.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just keep the trash can,ad build a skippy style filter,as in the bio filters already on this forum... MY 70 GALLON SKIPPY FILTER in the DIY forum OR
55 GALLON BIO FILTER in the equipment forum.
if you choose your design you better put a check valve on your input, so if your pump ever stops working for any reason your filter wont drain back into piond

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
In the plumbing world the water wont even feel the turn ..

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States

Ask a Question