hooking up a PUV2000 filter to a Mag Drive 12

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this combo? The Mag Drive has a 3/4 inch outlet where I have my 1 inch hose connected to it. The PUV2000 have 1.5 inch intake/outtake barbed connectors. I have been to Menards and Home Depot and I can't find what I need to connect them. I have been to a garden center where they have a lot of pond supplies and they couldn't help me either. Why is this so hard?

At this point I have the 20 foot or so 1 inch hose going directly to the water fall. I am planning on putting the filter in between so I can add some fish and help with algae control.

Reaction score
EdenPrairie-20110628-00059.jpg

Thanks for responding. Just want to make sure I understand this right. Here is the fitting that plugs into the filter. It screws onto it from the left side. There is a barbed connection on the right that won't mate to the 1 inch tubing. Do I throw away this fitting and get it an adaptor that plugs into the filter and has a smaller barb on the right?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Do you want to use flexable tubing or rigid pvc? I am having a brain fart at the moment. Let me think about this. I now theres a simple solution.

Reaction score
I already have the 1 inch inside diameter flexible tubing running. I just want to cut into it and put filter in between. I assume I want to stick with that since the manufacturer says that max diameter to be used is 1 1/4

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you can get a threaded 1 1/2 " fm adapter and a 1 1/2" x 1" bushing to bring it back to your hose size.. go to a hard ware store

Reaction score
I finally found hardware that you describe at a ACE hardware store. Don't know why I, or store help couldn't find it at Home Depot.

Now I wonder what I can do to maximize flow. I could use my 1 inch tubing as the backflush hose and redo the tubing with 1/1/4. I read that this would be the max size for this pump. Anyway what would you do in my situation? I would then need to find a new fitting for the pump end.

I was also thinking of upgrading to a Mag Drive 18. Right now I have the 12 with a sponge filter going up max 2 feet to the "waterfall". I try to keep the tubing clear by securing a brush to fish tape to scrub the inside. I also have cleaned the impeller. I squeeze out the sponge twice a day. I have to say that I would guess my gph is like half of the posted 1200 gph on the label.

Reaction score
Now I am really confused.

I called Danner to ask them what the max recommended tubing diameter is and she asked me how far it is pumping. I said a rise of 2-3 feet and the hose itself is 20 feet long. She said that there will be problems with back pressure and the max length is 13 feet including the rise and overall run???? The pond is 14x10 or so rising 2-3 feet to waterfall. IS this the wrong type of pump? I assume for max water turnover, you wouldn't want to place the pump where the water is entering the pool, but with that recommendation, that is the only option.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I was a fan of the mag drives and still have some in use but I am now a believer of an external only type pump just for the ease of maintaniance. I just replaced a mag drive 18 and a mag 24 with a Sequence750 4200 with the primer/leaf basket and am more then happy. It also uses less electricity then the other pumps. Save your mag drive for water circulation inside the pond.

Reaction score
That type of pump would make my new.unused filter obsolete, unless there is control to limit the flow rate to 2000 gph?

Ask a Question