Hopefully this will work in Zone 7 for my above ground pond

Reaction score
Planning to use the product to insulate the interior as well as the exterior of my totally above ground pond. The exterior will be put in place only during the winter months.
I think it will work out just fine.
Any thoughts or opinions are always appreciated.

FOAMULAR® 400/600/1000 High Compressive Strength Rigid Foam Insulation
http://www.owenscorning.com/worldwide/admin/tempupload/pdf.077_HighDensity_E_1.pdf

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a shop in arizona, made with polystyrene encased in steel walls, by august it is just getting warm in the shop i.e. around 90..our walls are 3 inch, the ceiling 5 inch. It does work great.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you going to put this around the exterior of the pond with nothing else so it is exposed to the weather? It says it is water resistant but I am not sure how long it will last being exposed to the elements for 4 months or so. This is probably pretty inexpensive but another option (would cost more) is to build a removalble frame around it and put exterior plywood on the outside on the inside get that foam insulation that is blown in sort of like the Great Stuff in a can. Hot tub manufacturers use something like this inside the hot tubs to keep them insulated. Just a thought.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DaneDad said:
Where in Arizona? I'm planning on heading out to either Prescott or south to Sierra Vista when I retire.

North west phoenix, 3000 sq foot shop 3800 sq foot house lol, pool and 14k gallon pond with a stream. The house is on an acre.

Reaction score
I'm planning on lining the inside of the 4x4x8' as well as ground with at least 2 inches of the material. I will be doing the same on the outside as well. I like your idea about the plywood frame. I think these panels will hold up fine even if they are out in the elements 4 plus months. I will also looking at constructing some sort of a vented cover that I can lay over the pond as well. either a dome shape or "A" frame type thingy. It's all fun until the pond freezes into one gigantic ice cube. LOL I'm confident with these panels and a surface heater to keep a surface hole open for gas exchange will work quite well. We'll See !!!!

Reaction score
I have cousins in Glendale and in Scottsdale. Too hot for me there. I need to get up in the high desert LOL. It's a dry heat though. Anything beats the humidity here on Long Island.
I hate it along with the traffic and congestion

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep it is hot, hot and sticky here, but I love the winters fall and spring here.

Reaction score
air is one of the best but with solid wood you can't so foam from the borg is about the best you can do.
but my little pond only has air tyvek and thin wood between the liner and the outside and even when it was 19 outside with only a 50 watt heater it never got below 35/36
so the foam behind thin plywood behind the liner might help. but not sure if it will make a difference on the outside of the wood. once the wood gets cold the foam won't do anything. so really you just want to isolate the liner from the wood.

Ask a Question