hornwort and anachris

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add these to the pond? Is there anything to worry about with them creating a mess in the pond if they begin to fall apart? (remember them being messy a little bit in an old aquarium)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whenever I put the Anacharis in my pond my fish eat it up so fast that it does not have time to make a mess. Now I have some in a floating plant ring so I can dole it out to them little by little. I also have some in a bathtub pond w/ no fish in it to see if it will grow more w/o pigs in there that chomp it all up.

It grows around here in the wild and I notice it is growing w/ it's roots in the mud there. My hubby has gone and pulled a bunch of it up for me now and then. I have heard it will grown in pots or just grown freely in ponds by just throwing it in there. Some have put it in netted bags to keep it more contained also.

Reaction score
I put them in my pond last month......my intakes keep sucking them up and slowing the waterfalls. I keep throwing them in a plant ring as I pull them out of the intakes. I probably won't buy them again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Baeya you could put them in a netted bag and tie them off somewhere away from your intakes. Your fish are gonna be mad at you for not having them in there anymore cuz they love to nibble on them
hungrygrnfish.png

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used to buy anacharis every year and a few years ago I picked up some hornwart from a local lake and it has done ok, nothing stellar. The fish do eat up the anacharis and it all disappeared withing a month, so I no longer purchase this. The hornwart survives the winters here but the anacharis dies off. Have not noticed either one being messy, you do need to put lead weights or anchor them down somehow or they will get sucked up into your skimmer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My hornwart is blooming really nice, the lilies are still blooming same with the hyacinths.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I've had some Hornwort before............maybe? Not sure but I think it grows around here or east of the mountains here. Did not know that it bloomed.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
thanks everyone, I can get the hornwart here at Petsmart, but wanted to make sure it wouldn't be an issue before putting it in. They used to sell Anacharis here but the girl said she thought it was illegal now, meaning that a bunch of people must have dumped it in local waters so I will have to look for it :) as I don't believe it is native to this area.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Forget what i said.............geez brain block I have water hawthorn, not hornwart......................geez My water hawthorn is blooming great. Used to have hornwart in my aquarium tanks but not in the pond. The fish inhale the anacharis, so gave up on it. Unless I do like jw will keep from the fish, ie put in one of my small ponds and just pieces into the pond with fish as a snack

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've tried both, Hornwart for me seems to do better in the still water tubs, anachris, well after about two or three weeks all I'm left with are stems that end up in the skimmer. Smaller pond with the small koi it does ok but with the bigger guys, FOOD FIGHT!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hornwort leaves contain a lot of calcium, making them harder and less palatable to fish than anacharis. John

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Tmann,
That will work since they were out of it at the store anyway. Do you guys weight it down (and if so how without it coming loose or breaking the stems?) or just let it float around?

Will have to check a specialized store for anacharis since the pet chain didn't carry it anymore.

JW, you only have goldies, right? did you buy the floating basket or did you find one in the DIY section on here?

Also does anyone have a popular website to order Hardy Water Lily tubors from? Think it would be easier to grow them this way than trying from seeds. I saw the thread on here where someone said how to do it, but don't think I would be starting them inside, so the 6 month time table counts me out from doing it that way (from this link here: http://www.water-gardens-information.com/start-water-lily-seeds.html )

Thanks again everyone!

Nathan

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you wait till spring when I clean mine up, I can send you some tubers. Got a bunch. Unless you want certain colors, mine have all been given to me, and doing great. You have to remind me lol, that is a little bit of time from now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Herz I made a floating ring out of the black tubing from Lowes or H-Depot and attached screen under it. Made it pretty deep so the Anacharis can float downward away from ice if needed. Next time I would use the bigger squared screen or plastic stuff so water flow would be better. It gunks up a lot now and stuff can't get through..........well baby fry when real tiny get in there and stay. Then I have to get them outta there cuz they get too fat and can't get out and i don't think it's healthy for them to stay in there w/o the water flow. Oh and yes I just have goldfish.

Ask a Question