hornwort.....found a good source if anybody wants some

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy, sounds like it should overwinter in my pond. Not sure I need that much but sounds like a good deal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, never know how good it is. They are the first plant in my pond since the second week. I bought it because its advertise as ok in shade...and it's been growing like crazy. May be this is the reason my pond never have pea green water, just some algae along the liner, that's all.

I like it weighted down so I just weighted it with a rock and it looks very pretty but it's quite easy to break so I have to keep re-group them together.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never found any to buy that was a decent price. Never do have green water, the bog takes care of that. I like having plants in the water, the fish eat the anacharis, maybe they will leave the hornwort alone. I grow anacharis in the smaller ponds, then toss handfuls into the big pond, it is gone within hours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My fish never touched the hornwort but love the anacharis. For years I tried to grow anacharis in my fish tanks and it never did well. When I finally got the pond and put some outside I actually was able to watch it grow and even flower.

The thing with hornwort is that when it's "happy" it grows and is great but when it's not it makes a huge mess by dropping it's needles.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read that too, So far it is growing in the ponds and fish tank I put it into. The string in the deck pond "seems" to be decreasing since I put the hornwort in, sure hope my seems is right. The deck pond gets unfiltered nutrient rich water from the big pond, string loves it. It also is warm, full sun, only runs twice a day for an hour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found an excellent source of hornwort if anybody is looking for some.

email................ John Patakos

if you want any

A nice big box shipped second day. This is a tub about 2 feet x 1.5 feet in size.

View attachment 58444

View attachment 58445

The clumped pile I just dumped out of the box.

View attachment 58446

It is going into my big pond, indoor fish tank, stream ponds, start a hornwort population

if you want any

A nice big box shipped second day. This is a tub about 2 feet x 1.5 feet in size.

View attachment 58444

View attachment 58445

View attachment 58446

It is going into my big pond, indoor fish tank, stream ponds, start a hornwort population

Hello addy1. I just saw this post and was wondering if you knew if this was still available? I tried to find the guys name but couldn't. I am new to the forum and haven't figured everything out as of yet so forgive me if it is a simple thing. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States

if you want any

View attachment 58444

View attachment 58445

View attachment 58446

Happy 4th of July. I realize this is a very old post but I was wondering if this is still an active source or if you can recommend another?

Thank you,
Irena Hanlon

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Happy 4th of July. I realize this is a very old post but I was wondering if this is still an active source or if you can recommend another?

Thank you,
Irena Hanlon
@addy1, good question, as this was 5 years ago? Can you find out?

I have also read that Horwort secretes some chemical that is an antagonist to some algae species. For some reason, though, it doesn’t grow well in my pond — don’t know if the climate here is a factor or not. Anacharist does well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1, good question, as this was 5 years ago? Can you find out?

I have also read that Horwort secretes some chemical that is an antagonist to some algae species. For some reason, though, it doesn’t grow well in my pond — don’t know if the climate here is a factor or not. Anacharist does well.
I can't search easily here, our hot spot is spotty in working. Right now doing ok. Click on the link above and search for his name as a user.

Ask a Question