hornwort plant or float?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I hear some folks say best to plant it, others say best to float it.
What say ya'll?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just tossed it in, it planted itself and comes back as a forest every spring. Same with the aracharnis, tossed in and it just comes back here and there in the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will sink down on its own — at least mine does. It’s not a plant that grows roots.
Mine grew real fine roots. When I pull it up there is a net work of root like stuff. From the net "It does form a root like structure"
I did not plant it, did it on its own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
If I could figure out a way to biofuel it. I cut it out of my tanks constantly. Makes great compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have plastic plant containers filled with pebbles. I then put them in bunches and anchor them down with pebbles. When I just let them float they always end up in my skimmer. It also makes it easier to use a vacuum to suck out dirt without sucking the plants up. Kind of keeps them a little more tidy but that is just my preference.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what happened after I just tossed it in. It has been around for a few years now. Makes a forest and helps keep the water perfect. anacharis intermingled with it.

A few pieces do float to the skimmer but not very often.
IMG_2593.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for your post. By coincidence I just ordered some hornwort yesterday! I was wondering the same thing...plant it or just throw it in. I fear that my ravenous koi will eat it up if I just throw it in there. I'm going to try hiding it from them by sticking it in and behind other plants that are on my shelves. If it spreads a lot, then maybe let some float and see what happens.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure mine eat some of it. They don't get fed a ton by me. I know they love aracharnis but there is enough growing they can't eat it all. The forest probably helps the survival rate during spawning. But even if it does I am no where getting overloaded with fish.

Ask a Question