Hornwort . . . what to do over winter?

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We purchased a lot of hornwort at the beginning of the season when we put in our 3,000 gallon pond. To be exact, we got 100 bunches of it, and it grew nicely. It is sunk to the bottom with lead weights. We, and the fish, love it. It really looked great over the summer, making a "forest" where the fish love to swim around.

Do any of you have experience with this over the winter? I am having no luck finding RELIABLE info about what to do with it over the winter. It is supposedly a perennial that will "come back" in the Spring. Exactly how, I'm not totally sure. I don't know whether to pinch it back to keep the majority of it from dying off and adding nutrients to the pond, or exactly what to do. I definitely don't want to repurchase it . . . that was costly.

I would appreciate it if people who live in a similar zone as me (5 or 6) could respond with what they do. I've read a lot of web pages about it, but most are just "guessing" and repeating other websites. I even called my supplier, and they were not helpful.

Thanks!!

Sandy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hornwort does not have roots, left floating in a pond it will grow downwards when it masses up.

It has a neutral buoyancy so will kinda sorta go where it grows.

As Winter approaches where it grows in shallow water it will tend to be damaged, turn to mush, break up where water temperatures freeze, what bits sink or grow at the bottom of the pond will survive with milder temps stratified at the bottom of the pond while those in shallow colder water don't do so well

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice to know so move the shallow water stuff to the deeper pond. I have some in a preform, gowing well but only 18-24 inch deep

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch in the inside aquarium, the tetras like it.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I understand hornwort doesn't require sunlight to grow... my local pond guy recommended to either leave it or wrap some on a rock with elastic to sink it to protect from freezing.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've had a real hard time growing hornwort in my tank. I'm put them in twice and both times either the fish ate them or they failed to thrive because after a few weeks I just didn't see them anymore.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just tossed it in, put in one of my pond led lights and it is growing like a weed. The arachanis is doing great too. So if my pond hornwort dies I have a back up.

Ask a Question