Hornwort

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have a couple bunches of Hornwort that I bought at a nursery. They're cut at the bottom. Can/should these be planted in dirt in a pot and placed under water? Will they grow and multiply? Or will they grow/multiply just sitting at the bottom of my pond on the plastic? I can see some of you rolling your eyes :) I'm new to this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They will grow freely floating in the water. Some people like to anchor them to keep them in one place. You can use a weight or a rock to hold it down. I find that it makes it easier for my fish to devour when they don't have to chase it all over the pond! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum...I threw hornwort into the pond several years ago and it grew without me doing a thing . Some of it floats and some sunk to the bottom getting tangled with lily plant stems and pots. If you have fish the hornwort provides them great place to hide.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is my forest of hornwort in the deep end of the pond, 5-5.5 feet deep. It is a forest!
I just tossed it in years ago, now it dies back regrows every spring.
hw1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It's been a couple weeks and my Hornwort doesn't seem to be multiplying at all? Any suggestions on how to get this plant to spread? My water temp is about 68 at night 74 in day right now. I have water hysiens (not sure I'm spelling right) and water lettuce which is multiplying as expected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
It's been a couple weeks and my Hornwort doesn't seem to be multiplying at all? Any suggestions on how to get this plant to spread?
My experience with this plant is that the bunches grow in length and get thicker. They have laterals growing off the main stem that can be pinched off and they will continue to grow as new plants. Be patient because in a couple of seasons you will look into your pond and think were did all this hornwort come from.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you mean like this? I put in a few small bundles a few years back, now have a forest of it.
It is living in the deep end of the pond, near the waterfalls.
hw1.JPG

Ask a Question