Hornwort?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been trying to decide on a submerged plant to add to my pond. I've read a lot about anacharis, but none of the water garden places sell it here and a couple websites I've found won't ship it to Indiana. I did find hornwort at one local store and was thinking of getting some this weekend. Can any of you tell me if its worth it to add? Also, any ideas of how much I should purchase to start with. The stuff is pretty cheap $2/bunch. Lastly if I do get some would I need to weight it down with something or will it just sink and stay at the bottom on its own? I also read that it controls algae by emmitting something that algae doesn't like. Just wanting some opinions, so whatever ya'all can tell me. Thanks!

Also, do you trim your water hyacinth at all? Mine have some browning leaves (and the little ball thing the leaf is attached to) Wondering if I should cut those off. Also, several of them had been connected, but now none of them are. Not sure if it would be the fish or the frogs tearing them apart, but should I cut of the stalks that originally connected them, they are looking kind of black, but aren't mushy like those ball things. Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the hyacinths are turning mushy I would trim it off, ow it will add dying vegetation that will help foul your water.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hornwort has no roots, so it does no good to pot it. It tends to rot at the soil line. Ditto for tying them in bunches. Ive never heard of them emitting anything, but they do use up the phosphates that algae need to flourish. Our sales tanks for hornwort are always crystal clear, even though they are in full sun in a greenhouse. And if your bunches are the same size as ours (8 or 9 stems) then get about 3-4 for every 500 gallons. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks John. I will get what you say for quantity. One more question though, does it just sink to the bottom then on its own without weighting it or planting it? There is a layer of 2-3" river rock at the bottom of my pond. I just don't want the stuff floating around the surface making my pond look like its full of seaweed! LOL

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hornwort does sink, once it's established it will stay in place but if it's weighted it will rot at the bottom. Anachris is probably the best choice for oxygenator of all plants, but other choices are also cabomba, which will root and anchor, hydrilla, which is very invasive but does well even in freezer water temps. and crystalwort, Little harder to find in the US but a really neat looking compact plant that will root and also survives the winter very well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some great growing anachris, but the goldies inhaled it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
anacharis you can buy at most pet stores that sell fish .My local petsmart and petco both carry it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I ended up getting Anacharis. The guy was out of hornwort and had some of that. It wasn't really in bunches though, he just filled a bag with it so I have spent all morning bunching it up and weighting it so it stays at the bottom. What a chore!! I had to actually climb in the pond for the first time ever. I had that stuff just floating in there so it wouldn't dry out while I was bunching it up. The fish didn't even care that I was standing in the middle of their house! LOL They didn't hide and just kept swimming around my legs! I was afraid I was gonna step on one of them! They sure seem to like swimming around in the anacharis too!! Haven't really noticed them eating it yet.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, I enjoy the fish swimming around me, they come up and give little nibbles all the time.

Ask a Question