Horsetail reed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Only plant that is struggling this year....bought a new plant along with other varieties plants...all others doing well .... I put the reed in some pea gravel and a little kitty litter and it has struggled to take off. My only guess it's to deep it's about 6 to 8 inches under the water level.

Too deep? Thoughts or experience with it.

Photo to show it.

20190713_121201.jpg
20190713_121210.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond, love your lily. I don't have horse tail reed. My guess is it is still getting settled. Some take some time to get going.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Too deep? Thoughts or experience with it.

It may be too deep. It's deeper than I ever tried with mine.
Of course, all of mine died off for some reason. Even in my bog. Thought it would be too aggressive and take over, but it disappeared instead. It was one of my favorite wetland plants.

In the wild, I often see the same specie in wet areas but not in standing water. Occasionally, I'll see it in very shallow water, around 3" or less.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I transplanted mine from a local swamp. Last year only a few twigs survived. This year I put some small sprigs in the mini bog and they took quite nicely. When I moved them I removed most but not all of the muck they were in. I left a little on the rootmass. I planted them in about 3” deep in the gravel.
A4EA077D-CDE4-45D4-B9EB-909A5F56D071.jpeg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just bought some dwarf horsetail rush a month ago and the info with it said that it will not grow with it's crown below the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup... too deep. It's much more of a marsh than a pond plant so it likes wet feet but everything else above water.

Ask a Question