HOSE/ TUBING CONNECTIONS; BRANCHING OFF PUMP -- WALK ME THROUGH

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll be so glad when the time comes that I know the answers/solutions myself -- just gotta get my feet wet first (yes, pun very much intended :D)

Please walk me through this set up and help me find the right parts. Waterbug, you are so good with your diagrams, maybe you can draw this out for me ;). I am a visual learner.

Submersible pump (3600 gph from HOME DEPOT) with [using] 1-1/2" corrugated tubing to filter. Want to:

1 -- be able to run an accessory [spitter] off the pump
2 -- be able to control the flow from the pump to the filter & accessory
3 -- make splices and/or connect same-size hoses (in case I mess up and cut something too short, heaven forbid...)

Clueless and ready to place an online order if necessary.....

So, starting out from the pump is the 1-1/2" hose. Will split off to filter & to accessory -- so where do I go from here and what parts will I need? Are these parts (such as "y's," reducers, valves, etc.) usually available other than online? Which is better, something with a hose clamp (SS) or something like a nipple reducer?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
1 1/2 hose? a flexible hose? I can show you some links to pictures, but i need to knwo what kind of hose you are using.

EDIT, nevermind i missed it... corrogated tubing

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
They make tee's with compression fitting for corrogated tubing, like this
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12081

that one doesnt have valves on it though.

my corrogated tubing looks more like this with the flat ends... so i just a combination of flex tube and regular pvc and then use regular pvc y pipe and valves, plain old plumbing accessories from menards, because i have that flat area i can glue the pieces together. I dont know how well that works if you use corrogated tubing and try to stuff it inside a pvc pipe and glue it.
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/Corrugated-Tubing-can-turn-sharp-corners-611936

if you use pipe like that, it easy to take the nice end and stick it inside something like this http://cnzhsu.en.made-in-china.com/...ipe-Fittings-Series-45-Degree-Y-Junction.html
with one of these on each side http://www.hisupplier.com/product-321522-PVC-Valve/ so you can control how much water goes into each pipe after the y

sorry for all the links... i was just googling pictures and then sent the whole link. those probably arent the right sizes or anything, but you get the idea.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just like with plumbing thousands of fittings and you have to find the right one for the hose you are using .I cut off small pieces of all the hoses I am going to use and then hit plumbing supply stores or lowes or home depot and then try to find some one with a brain there that can figure the whole mess out for me .Sometimes takes an hour to look at fittings in different departments ,sprinkler section ,plumbing section ,electrical section .I end up with plumbing parts dancing in my head like sugar plums :razz:

Reaction score
I agree with waterbug turtle mom, unless you already know to get smooth interior

something along these lines

CorrugatedHose.gif

black
corrugated hose​
CORRUGATED BLACK HOSE: PondTechnology corrugated PVC hose is a heavy-duty spiral-reinforced flexible black hose with a smooth interior. It is recommended for in-pond use where optimal flexibility is desirable. Since we size it to fit standard plumbing fittings, the inside diameter is larger than the nominal size (for example, 1/2" hose measures 5/8" inside) and the flow capacity is significantly higher than typical plastic tubing that is labeled by actual inside diameter. It is available in 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", and 2" diameters in rolls of 10, 25, 50, and 100 feet.​

FlexPipe.gif

black
flexible pipe​
FLEXIBLE BLACK PIPE: PondTechnology flexible PVC pipe is a heavy-duty spiral-reinforced flexible black pipe that is smooth on the interior and exterior with the exception of slight ridges from the reinforcing. Since it is made with outside diameters that are the same as rigid PVC pipe, it can be glued into standard PVC pipe fittings and valves using a special flexible pipe cement. Although not as easily bendable as corrugated hose, flexible pipe is recommended for out-of-pond use where extra strength and durability is needed, such as where pipes are exposed to sunlight or are buried. This type of pipe should be used with caution in areas with severe termite infestation or where burrowing animals are very active. It is available in 1/2", 3/4", 1",1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2" and 3" diameters in rolls of 10, 25, 50, and 100 feet.​

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I would use the pipe that fits the max. outflow on your pump. I have a 3600gph pump and I have hard piped all of my plumbing in PVC. It takes some thinking and planning things out, but it will last much longer than flex pipe. Mine feeds my bog and waterfall with valves to control the flow going to each one. I have a female adapter that screws right onto my pump so there is no water loss due to pipe size.

Ask a Question