sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have bought 2 of the new hoses that do not kink and are safe to even drink from and are green .I have been reading a lot on hoses and amazed a lead level test done on them and if you hose is older than 5 years it should be replaced by a safer hose .Funny thing is there is no health law to protect people from the lead content in them and never really thought about it much ,just thought a hose is a hose right nope wrong very wrong and it has really been an eye opener reading all the things on the internet about hoses .I just thought it was hype to get you to buy these new hoses ,i guess like a lot of people would think the same thing .Funny thing as a kid loved to drink from the hose hmmm I wonder why they are not tested better and why it took so long to even check them or do the small amount of tests they have done .There are no laws yet and they say no real threat BUT is there more than they are saying yet .I guess my old ones for the yard and new ones for the pond and one in the back yard so i can fill my pet dish and water my veggies . The thing is the new hoses also are only about 3 lbs. for a 50 foot hose .Pick up your old hose and see how much it weighs .Lowes sells one for 19.99 and is called basic elements and has a bacteria and mold inhibitor .Never thought of how much mold and bacteria grows inside a hose when it is allowed to lay out in the sun either .Good gosh what have we been doing to ourselves

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just used the elements hose for the first time it does at first kink but when water starts going through it it seems to unkink itself .Like the other hose a little better but 30 dollars verse 20 dollars not sure yet

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never drink from hoses, something I recall from long ago, never drink from a hose, so never have

We need a drinking type hose for our pa place, so will check the basic elements and the vinyl ones. I know at rv places they have people safe hoses

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I never drink from hoses, something I recall from long ago, never drink from a hose, so never have

We need a drinking type hose for our pa place, so will check the basic elements and the vinyl ones. I know at rv places they have people safe hoses
Makes you wonder how the pioneers ,survived drank water from whereever they could find it ,had to contain all sorts of mineral compounds
algea ,all the good stuff . we are just spoiled ,when I was a boy wood smoke ,coal smoke ,oil furnace smoke hung just over the few street lights ,no body had allergies like we have today ,or maybe are just died and were not counted ,could be .now were getting anti-bioctic resistant germs from over use and miss use ,some times were our own worst enemy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true and they use so many chemicals today on everything and the only fast food you got was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or better yet fluffier nutter ,what a sugar high .I am glad I am a vegetarian because of all the stuff about meat these days .I guess I get nuked veggies too . :razz: .I remember as a kid the best thing was hose water

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
very true and they use so many chemicals today on everything and the only fast food you got was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or better yet fluffier nutter ,what a sugar high .I am glad I am a vegetarian because of all the stuff about meat these days .I guess I get nuked veggies too . :razz: .I remember as a kid the best thing was hose water
Too bad your not closer I'd load you up with Tomatoes ,I have two plants in the flowerbed next to the pond 12" tall I'll bet we have gotten at least a busel of cluster tomatoes of so far and thier showing no signs of slowing down ,Good old pond water,nochems.fert just pond water last year at first hard frost measured the vives over 20' long up to the roof down to the groung back up sholder high.2 peppers 4' tall loaded. Thats my garden.a mile of 1/4 yarn keep tieing up to frame work ,getting hard to walk around them crowding toward the pond .Do you remember when every thing was cooked baked or fried was in lard.best bisquits youever put in your mouth,and french fries that were out of this world,raw milk ,cream and butter.It was not all bad back then ,might kill you but sure tasted good!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I remember canning with my mom and used to can lots of stuff until i moved here 8 years ago.I had a nice big garden in Nj but here it just gets to hot and you can fry tomato's right on the plant .I still remember home made ice cream and going out side in the winter to find ice for it and taking turns with the hand crank .My 2 sons loved it when I would get the old hand crank out and tell them you want ice cream go out side and find ice and in the summer i would tell them to start filling the ice cube trays and make plenty of ice

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Hey ,Georgia is not any cooler, pond water ,pond water ,pond water ,of course Iv'e got alot of fish so may be super concentrated ,I don't know !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sissy, I used to love playing with mercury from broken thermometers when I was a kid. It was so cool to push it around with my finger and make balls of different sizes. I think we used to break them on purpose just to get to the mercury. Wouldn't do that today!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sissy, I used to love playing with mercury from broken thermometers when I was a kid. It was so cool to push it around with my finger and make balls of different sizes. I think we used to break them on purpose just to get to the mercury. Wouldn't do that today!

Same here, that was neat stuff to play with.

I grow tomatoes, I have a real dense plum that I jar, then we use them all winter rather than buying sauce. Make my own sauce until we run out of my tomatoes. I also grow cherries and small ones to eat. Tried a new one this year, the tomatoes are 1-2 lbs, huge things dense and so gooooood!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh never knew the mercury was like that keith ,I guess you never fear the unknown .Used to do that addy and still make a little but not near as much as i used to .I make jars of veggie tomato sauce ,just about every veggie from my garden goes in celery yellow and green squash and peppers and even some times asparagus and zuccini ,anything and everything lets say ,real good too

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
We just bought a hose last week and My Wife noticed it said "Not Suitable for Drinking" on it and She thought it was odd but It did get Me thinking about the bacteria and what the hose was made of, I figured it was made with toxic materials somehow since it seems like everything is now.

I remember getting in major trouble at school one year for bring mercury for show and tell in a little tube and the teacher freaked! My Mom thought there was nothing wrong with it at the time I guess...ah the good ol' days.

I still remember home made ice cream and going out side in the winter to find ice for it and taking turns with the hand crank .My 2 sons loved it when I would get the old hand crank out and tell them you want ice cream go out side and find ice and in the summer i would tell them to start filling the ice cube trays and make plenty of ice

Homemade Ice cream sounds great right now with all the heat, I still make the kind with ice, salt, and ziplock bags with My Son every once in a while, He loves it!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dear wife decided to try a raised garden bed for veggies this year, so I built her a 4' x 24' bed. She got some of the leftover plants from the end of the season at the garden center where we work, but soon ran out of space, so she grabbed all the large containers she could find, filled them with soil, and planted the extras in them. So now we have about 50 assorted tomato plants, maybe 25 hot peppers, and a great assortment of pumpkins, watermelon, zuchini, squash, eggplants, and a bunch of other stuff we can't identify until the fruit ripens! One melon vine is already 20' across the lawn, and showing no signs of stopping any time soon. I told her I'll build a little stand, and she can sell the excess at the roadside!!
And yes, I can remember playing with mercury many a time. One teacher had some in a small bottle, and let everyone coat pennies with the stuff and TAKE THEM HOME!!! Those were good times. :zombie:
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My veggies are not doing well this year, really strange, this year we are getting some rain. The tomatoes are doing ok but not wonderfully. Water melons are growing, cucumbers never took off or the onions. oh well

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
You guys don't even want to talk about new finding on varies bottled waters and thier effect on the body .Only one thing fo sure you ain't leaving this world alive,lest you a astronaut ,some of them did not make it either .Too old too get to excited,= all the abuses I put my body thru I probably shouldn't be here now!

Ask a Question