Hospital tank in use

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just been down to the pond and noticed a 6 inch red cap with the starts of a fungus growth, the fish is now in a 10 gallon tanknin my kitchen trying to slowly raise the water temp so I can treat it,
I cant treat the pond water yet as the pond temp is only 6*c if the smal red cap pulls throug it will be housed in the indoor aquarium untill the pond temp rises, not ideal, I know but what else can I do,
I know its a small red cap and not a 24 inch tancho, but it's a fish, and it's one of my fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck with your fish slick. Glad to hear to have a hospital tank for emergencies like this. I'm sure you know but keep a close eye on the ammonia. It can build up fast in an uncycled tank

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that the indoor tank temp hit 12*c at about 1700 hours so 1mil of medi fin went in with the raised teml the little red cap seams a lot more lively in the 10 gallon tank im running a air powered jad foam filter I also added 2mil of filter starter up to now all seams 200% better than 10 hours ago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
With the koi mate have you thought about a large QT fasility because if you have any of your larger fish come down with this your going to need one ?
We have a 55o Imperial gallon Shorham QT fasility with its own bottom drain 15 watt Kockney koi UV-C a built in filter powered by a blagdon 2,000 wet dry pump with jap matting and other filtration as well as its own venturie they are considered the Rolls Royce of QT fasilitys and normally can be picked up 2nd hand at around £200+ ( a good investment , I recomend that you try get ) you wont go wrong with one........:cool:
What are you treating the reed cap with to rid it of its fungal infection mate and have you carefullly given everyone in the pond a once over to see if this has spread at all ?
Fungus can produce spores that will infect other fish .
Fungal disease is acctually a secondary infection so I suggest your redcap may have picked up some damage along the way be it through netting damage, poor water quality, rotting leaces in the pond etc
Catching it early is in your favour big style mate as advaced fungal infections ca take over fish internally as well as externally leading to irreprable damage to internal organs
Before treating your going to have to take a good look at the pond ans basically figure out what caused the fungus to become a problem in the first place , its no good treating the fish putting it back in the pond in the spring only to have it go down with it again
Remember the best type of defence against attacks like this is good pond and sysyem maintenance
A good anti fungal remidy should take care of things but may I suggest you learn to anethatize your fish so that you can treat any areas of fungus on your fish by hand which s a simple matter of removing it with a cotton bud then treating the area with Malachite green before spraying the area with propolis,

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 hi mate, had a good look at all the fish, like a hawk as i am now paranoid. all water seams good according to test kit ammonia=0
nitrite=0 ph=7.3 Im treating with medi fin. as for a bigger tank for the bigger koi i have a 50 gallon tub
In the main pond im running a small 2000ltrs ph pump and a small gravity fed filter this is running along side the main filter system for 2 reasons one just to put a little more flow through the bottom drain and the second reason is to keep the bacteria in the filter working so if i do need to quarantine a large fish the pump and filter box are all ready to go from the get go,
as for the little red cap i don't know as i said the test kits show all good filters seam to be working fine,
but until the pond water temp hits around the 12*c mark all i can do is suck it and see

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I cant understand it! for the past 11 years, i had a 6 foot by 7 foot pond at a amazing depth of 2 feet deep well under powered pump, filter box and next to no uv power every spring time the water was green, i used to get a small paddling pool out fill it with the hose pipe straight from the tap, get all the fish out and into the for said pool,empty the pond dig all the mud slime and what ever out power wash it refill pond with hose pipe no safe water. put fish back and off we go. so this summer i dug a new deep pond bigger filters, bigger uv, bottom drain, netted pond over winter to keep leaves out. surface skimmer, cleaning filters out with pond water, safe water, bio starter,test kits etc, up to now nothing but problems, at the moment it feels like iv thrown £3000 down the swany plus the four and a half bottom drain and vortex fitted, nothing on pond bottom no left over food, fish wast, old leaves nothing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I cant understand it! for the past 11 years, i had a 6 foot by 7 foot pond at a amazing depth of 2 feet deep well under powered pump, filter box and next to no uv power every spring time the water was green, i used to get a small paddling pool out fill it with the hose pipe straight from the tap, get all the fish out and into the for said pool,empty the pond dig all the mud slime and what ever out power wash it refill pond with hose pipe no safe water. put fish back and off we go. so this summer i dug a new deep pond bigger filters, bigger uv, bottom drain, netted pond over winter to keep leaves out. surface skimmer, cleaning filters out with pond water, safe water, bio starter,test kits etc, up to now nothing but problems, at the moment it feels like iv thrown £3000 down the swany plus the four and a half bottom drain and vortex fitted, nothing on pond bottom no left over food, fish wast, old leaves nothing
This is what I mean by a steep learning curve Slick , it sorts the men from the boys that it does mate , I promise you by that by the end of this year you'll get things sorted out good "n" propper.
Like I said buy a few books look into what your doing if your doing it right then al good and propper if your doing things wrong then correct them...
Once you've done that you'll be more relaxed if not chlled out mate safe in the knowlege your doing things rght .:happy:

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Can you quickly list the problems in addition to the Red Cap.

A pond, even new, should not experience much in the way of problems. Any problem that DOES exist in a pond, of any age, is usually a sign of imbalance, either biological or chemical, somewhere in the eco-system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was swimming on the surface while all the others were on the pond bottom when I came to net it, it just stayed still not even trying to swim away but the water temp is only 6*c when it was netted is had a small patch of fungus on it's head,
I tested the pond water for ammonia results came back =0 tested for nitrite again =0 ph= 7.3
when my dad saw the fish he said while I was in Bulgaria that he fish didn't seam as strong as the others all other fish doing well swimming arounc normal behaviour,
The kromo with the hard white growths was diagnosed as carp pox

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking back after a few days thought and a fair few beers,
I don't think for the time of year im having that many problems just with the blanket weed appearing over nite,
spotting the small fungus patch on the red cap,
not knowing what the lumps were on my beloved koromo, they just all came at me at once know what I mean im sure that when the sum comes out the temperature starts to climb and the fish start feeding all will come good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd get those lumps checked in the spring Slick as koi pox doesnt hang aroumd the whole year through like that plus i have my own thoughts on what they are ., the red cap you'r able to treat so your on top of that .
One thing at a time mate

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Itys not koi pox mate koi pox doesnt stick around all year round like yo've described it may I suggest that n spring early summer you get them looked at personally I think your seeing an immune response to somethng or other ,

Dave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave54 will do mate,
last night I signed up to join the Yorkshire branch of the bkks,
im now waiting as the email says enquiry pending but thanks for your time and reply

Ask a Question