Hostas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Has anyone else tried Hosta's in your bogs or streams?

I am going on my 2 year with Hosta's planted bare root in my bog. Last year my willow tree was still quite small so it did not provide much shade. The Hosta's survived but did not thrive. This year the willow is big enough that they will be in full shade so i am looking forward to seeing how they do.

I plant the crown just below the water surface. They are already showing life and I look forward to see some green poking out. There root systems are massive under the gravel and the winter did not seem to bother them.

Any other "non-aquatic" plants you've had luck with in water?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never tried hostas might give it a shot, but if their roots are massive I might now. I don't like it when the roots get so massive that when I yank them out they destroy half the rocks. I have regular irises in my pond this year, put them in last fall and they are starting to grow now. I have grown chives with success.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Chives directly in the water? Interesting :) I have a bunch around the pond and in flower beds (used as a natural bug deterrent and a tasty treat) but they like dry ground so much I hadn't thought of putting them in the pond.

And as far as massive roots. Well they are much bigger than last year when I planted them but not anything compared to the rush I have in my bog.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will give hostas a shot, going to divide some in the next week and will stick one in there. Will let you know how they do. I have black eye susans growing in the rocks on the side of my pond, not technically in the water but there is a constant water flow all over the roots, so I don't see why they would not grow in the water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I shopped around for some more sun-tolerant Hostas that I plan to try when I get my bog up & running. We'll see how they do.

Reaction score
pecan said:

I am going on my 2 year with Hosta's planted bare root in my bog. Last year my willow tree was still quite small so it did not provide much shade. The Hosta's survived but did not thrive. This year the willow is big enough that they will be in full shade so i am looking forward to seeing how they do.

I plant the crown just below the water surface. They are already showing life and I look forward to see some green poking out. There root systems are massive under the gravel and the winter did not seem to bother them.

how do i plant plants

Reaction score
yes - i have a few hostas in the pond - i washed away the soil and let the root dangle in the water and they are doing really good.
if you have kois then stick the roots in an old sock, that way they cant be nibbled at.
the hostas are in the sun all day
i also bought something in the garden center that looks like moos it has pink flowers- put that in the pond in about 2 inches of water and it has been growing like mad. i think its a rockery plant but it likes wet feet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i plant plants
Hi do you just put them in like bare root or do you have soil around them cozz I've got a pond I've got hostas and iris but no were to put them if they will grow in the pond bare rooted them ile give it a go

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652199626337.gif
@Bobhatt
Yep go ahead and start a thread and more people will see it in your new one :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I have 5 hostas in my bog and they are thriving. I also have hibiscus, canna, callas,ginger, elephant ears, strawberries and a tomato. I stick all sorts in there and nearly everything gets happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 5 hostas in my bog and they are thriving. I also have hibiscus, canna, callas,ginger, elephant ears, strawberries and a tomato. I stick all sorts in there and nearly everything gets happy!
I know this is a bit old but was trying to make a new post...

I'm thinking about putting some Hostas in my bog filter. I just read you can plant them directly in the water. So I have pea gravel and at pond max level, about 2" of water on top of the pea gravel. At lowest point, the very top of the pea gravel just stays wet.

How is your bog filter? How did you plant the Hostas? Did you plant them directly in gravel/rocks as well? Still doing OK and do they survive winter? Trying to find and mix up more plants for the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Update: all my plants have had their soil removed and are planted directly in the pea gravel. Some do better than others -- perhaps it is the depth that needs adjusting or perhaps some simply don't enjoy the water as much as others. It's an experiment to see what will work, but most are successful until winter and most die back until spring. Most of what you see here has survived 2 or more winters - White Ginger, Mexican Petunias, hostas, calla lilies etc. Good luck!
20220811_162638.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Update: all my plants have had their soil removed and are planted directly in the pea gravel. Some do better than others -- perhaps it is the depth that needs adjusting or perhaps some simply don't enjoy the water as much as others. It's an experiment to see what will work, but most are successful until winter and most die back until spring. Most of what you see here has survived 2 or more winters - White Ginger, Mexican Petunias, hostas, calla lilies etc. Good luck! View attachment 153506
Awesome. Thanks for the info! Helps a lot!

Ask a Question