Hot tub conversion to pond..

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have any old hot tub that we no longer use that I want to convert into a fish pond. Would like things to look somewhat finished and not just a utilitarian out do it tank. This would be a potential overwintering / hospital pond in the future but my main pond for now until I get my larger yard pond completed. I am looking for advise from someone who may have already completed such a conversion. Some highlights to include in your comments: best way to implement pump and filter into design. Best type of filter for this project, ideas on keeping things low maintenance. In design such as easy water changes. Did you use the fiberglass liner as is or place a pond liner inside? Is there a clever way to use the plumbing already there to perform/enhance the needed functions of the pond? Best way to cap off jets? Ways to add surfaces that will hold / grow beneficial bacteria and plants. Bare bottom or gravel? Warnings about pitfalls to avoid. Pictures would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
calling all @addy1 s..., calling all @addy1 s....

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi, i haven't ever made something like that, but i like the challenge. :p Any pics of that? So can work with my mind.

But, just already from now, a lot of plants and some fishes. easy and low budget :O

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well
calling all @addy1 s..., calling all @addy1 s....

View attachment 143916
We took our old hot tub pond, about 350ish gallons maybe 400. Put it on the concrete slab right below our deck, did not plug any holes, did not pull pumps, did nothing except add water, plants and fish. I had a mini bog filtering it, a planter box, water pushed up from the bottom through pea gravel and plants waterfall back into the pond. Well some critter, decided to play walk the edge and knocked it off one night, so being a LPS (lazy ponder) I just bought a small tetra filter, between it and the plants the pond stays perfect, water clear etc. Rinse out the filter maybe twice a summer. This is the one pond I have a small submersible filter with a matala prefilter on it to keep the snails and fish from being sucked in and yuck.

I have just fan tails in it, around 14 last time I counted.

For winter protection I toss in one of those underwater heaters that turns on below 38 or so. So far 4th winter all the lines are just fine, pumps just sitting there, no leaks.

Logically it would be best to take a good marine goop and fill the entry holes of all the lines etc. But Being A LPS I just put in water

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh also spray painted the tub edge with some of that paint for plastic, outdoors, to make it a blend of shades of brown greens whites
etc. Ignore the floating wood it is to give the bees a escape when they land in the water by accident. The water is too clear right now and they are thinking they are hitting the plants below the water.

The cords are my winter ready plug ins for if we ever turn cold.

Screenshot 2021-11-10 165404.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
oh also spray painted the tub edge with some of that paint for plastic, outdoors, to make it a blend of shades of brown greens whites
etc. Ignore the floating wood it is to give the bees a escape when they land in the water by accident. The water is too clear right now and they are thinking they are hitting the plants below the water.

The cords are my winter ready plug ins for if we ever turn cold.

View attachment 143917
Any pictures of how you made your planter bog? This would be inside a greenhouse type structure so there really would be low risk of it getting turned over.
P.S. sorry to ask what most seem obvious but i'm fairly new to the hobby and just learning about bogs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was similar to this:

All I did was drill a hole in the bottom stuck a 3/4 inch hose in, made a few holes in the hose, inside of the planter box, filled it with pea gravel and plants. I had it tipped slightly forward to allow the water to flow back into the pond. The hose came from the small laguna pump, similar to this

pre filter similar to this

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20190424_115424.jpg

You can see it in the upper corner, have it across the corner for support. Netting is due to the herons we have around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was similar to this:

All I did was drill a hole in the bottom stuck a 3/4 inch hose in, made a few holes in the hose, inside of the planter box, filled it with pea gravel and plants. I had it tipped slightly forward to allow the water to flow back into the pond. The hose came from the small laguna pump, similar to this

pre filter similar to this
no leaking at the drill site for the hose? I think at least some of your goop would have been in order...recommend Lenae do this or...just wing it? Or, maybe any minor leakage is caught by the hot tub?

Btw, I MUST say o'bog queen; I didn't think YOU had even a single pond NOT on bog filtration! tsk tsk tsk; I might have ta alert @poconojoe about this...
;) ;) ;) :D :cool:

smilie sword twirl.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no leaking at the drill site for the hose? I think at least some of your goop would have been in order...recommend Lenae do this or...just wing it? Or, maybe any minor leakage is caught by the hot tub?
It did leak a bit but the leak went right back into the hot tub. I did not goop it at all. Was not concerned. When I did look it was barely a drip.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Btw, I MUST say o'bog queen; I didn't think YOU had even a single pond NOT on bog filtration! tsk tsk tsk; I might have ta alert @poconojoe about this...
lol after the mess I just never got around to resetting one up. And that tiny filter does fine with my tiny fan tails. I am actually thinking of pulling the lid and putting plants inside of it. Just never got around to it.

Reaction score
Country
United States

;) ;) ;) :D :cool:

View attachment 143921
Maybe silicone or waterfall foam for this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Waterfall foam seals cracks in the waterfall, how can it do so if not water proof

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Waterfall foam seals cracks in the waterfall, how can it do so if not water proof

It's water resistant. It diverts 99% of the flowing water in a falls to where you want it to go, but it is not a waterproof seal. If there's no liner below the foam, you'll have a leak.

Ask a Question