Hot tubs?

Reaction score
Hmmm... neighbor owns several rental properties... just came over and asked hubby if he wanted an 8 person hot tub that a tennant left behind... hubby was of course interested for the mechanicals... but I am thinking another QT ... mainly because we want to move the existing QT and didnt think we could til spring when we move fish outside...

Thinking of going to take a look at it... Other than chlorine/bleach (I know that is okay), is there any chemical that could be used in a hot tub, that wont wash off?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use bromine in ours, within a few days the water tests come out with none existing. The stuff they make hot tubs with is pretty tough and impermeable. You can take a sponge and clean it with baking soda, does a good job.

Reaction score
Thanks Addy. Didnt get the chance to run over and look at it tonight... would say would shoot for tomorrow, but last I heard we are under a winter advisory for 9-12" of snow... sooo dont want snow LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unless it is broken, I would get it for my own use, They are darn expensive, unless it is one of those real cheap ones. We love ours! Sit out there in the dead of winter, air crisp and cold water a nice 103 or so. We cool the water down during the summer, drop it to 90 or so, a cool tub for relief during the summer. With a good one it does not hit the electric bill as a huge power hog. Not hard to take care of either.

But it will also make a good QT lol Not the best filtering for dirty fish, but you could change the filter canister out for something in a bag you could pull out of the port to rinse off when needed. Unless, of course, your hubby pulls the pump and all leaving you just the shell to use, lol

Ours runs constantly at a low flow, only fires up to full flow when heating or the cleaning cycle. Or if we turn on the jets.

Reaction score
We had one years ago, and never used it. It is the pump from our old hot tub that is running our pond LOL.

I dont know exactly how hubby would set up it. I was assuming he would just drop a prefilter down on the floor of it, and use a tote filter to return water from the top... didnt ask him, but also just assumed he would plug all the holes from the jets with that blow foam stuff he uses on waterfalls?

Well, this is how the conversation went yesterday... X was just over, has a hot tub at one of the units he needs to get rid of (insurance liability at a rental) and wants to know if we want it. Runs, but something wrong with the.... I think he said motor, I dont remember,., Now what I really hear is ... Hey, I want to go get this hot tub, I can use the motors LOL... Hubby has an obcession with motors... He is always fabricating something. The way it is he was hoping I would want the shell, so he could, without guilt, go get it LOL.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol go for it, ours is around 7 ft sq, 300 gallons, so you will have 300 plus gallons for your qt! and it will look nice.

Reaction score
We use bromine in ours, within a few days the water tests come out with none existing. The stuff they make hot tubs with is pretty tough and impermeable. You can take a sponge and clean it with baking soda, does a good job.
I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that the stuff they make hot tubs with is pretty tough and impermeable. You can take a sponge and clean it with baking soda, does a good job.I have to used this.No doubt really work!!!

Ask a Question