House of the Rising O2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thought this was interesting, maybe others will to; the fish are slow and more or less still now as temps outside are at or below freezing. I noticed the other day, single individual bubbles rising (not the open tube from the aerator in the back). This is O2 produced by the algae on the pond walls and esp, bottom. I notice this in the summer but with the fish being so active, didn't really pin it down to algae release. Without such activity, the bubbles are more prominent. And this day, the sun was shining, which seemed to increase the quantity of bubbles relative to a normal cloudy day here in Mi. Anyway, a quick vid to illustrate (easier to see if full screen).

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Interesting. Makes me wonder what's happening in my pond.
As I'm being mesmerized by the calmness of the video, I noticed in the center there seems to be fish skeletons? Am I seeing that right?

1610449980245.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely beautiful.
I've only seen that when lake diving. Your video would make a great screen saver. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Absolutely beautiful.
I've only seen that when lake diving. Your video would make a great screen saver. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Stephen; without the normal fish movement to catch your eye, the bubbles rising is a neat effect, esp singularly as they are. Glad you liked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, very neat.....enjoyed watching it. Several of your gold fish are pretty active....wish I had an underwater camera.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, very neat.....enjoyed watching it. Several of your gold fish are pretty active....wish I had an underwater camera.

I haven't measured the water temp but since there are quite a few fish near the top, I'm assuming temps must be upper 30s if not 40. The pond tent is helping keep it warmer than without and I heartily recommend one, if for no other reason than no ice come spring. This year for the first time, I'm also keeping the bog running as I've extended my tenting over that, too. I'll be curious to see if a few of the less than hardy bog plants survive so I don't have to overwinter them in the basement anymore.

I just got the camera last winter and last summer was my first season using it. It's been a very fun addition as I can check/watch them underwater whenever, which is a lot more often than I originally thought. Camera is a bit pricey at first, but not compared to 'professional' models. Think this one was about $300 (Barlus is the brand). You're basically paying for the waterproof housing. They have cheaper models but I wanted one with a zoom mechanism. It's a PoE type I have tied to my modem and therefore, can look in using my computer. This enhances the enjoyment I get from the pond as I wait out winter and I'm glad I got one. Put something like this on your next Bday list!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I haven't measured the water temp but since there are quite a few fish near the top, I'm assuming temps must be upper 30s if not 40. The pond tent is helping keep it warmer than without and I heartily recommend one, if for no other reason than no ice come spring. This year for the first time, I'm also keeping the bog running as I've extended my tenting over that, too. I'll be curious to see if a few of the less than hardy bog plants survive so I don't have to overwinter them in the basement anymore.

I just got the camera last winter and last summer was my first season using it. It's been a very fun addition as I can check/watch them underwater whenever, which is a lot more often than I originally thought. Camera is a bit pricey at first, but not compared to 'professional' models. Think this one was about $300 (Barlus is the brand). You're basically paying for the waterproof housing. They have cheaper models but I wanted one with a zoom mechanism. It's a PoE type I have tied to my modem and therefore, can look in using my computer. This enhances the enjoyment I get from the pond as I wait out winter and I'm glad I got one. Put something like this on your next Bday list!
Our pond is covered, but not the bog. I think I may cover the bog next year so I can run it....I was worried it would cool the pond too much with it's surface area....but if it's covered might not be a concern.

Thank you for the camera info......I'm going to look it up :)

https://www.amazon.com/Barlus-Underwater-Camera-Stainless-Special/dp/B07CY12ZRR

Is it this type of camera?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our pond is covered, but not the bog. I think I may cover the bog next year so I can run it....I was worried it would cool the pond too much with it's surface area....but if it's covered might not be a concern.

Thank you for the camera info......I'm going to look it up :)

https://www.amazon.com/Barlus-Underwater-Camera-Stainless-Special/dp/B07CY12ZRR

Is it this type of camera?
same company, different cam but it will work. Bear this in mind as it goes directly to your own usage. I've found the specs for the 'fixed fov' lens, as the one you have listed, has a minimum focus of nearly 6'. What this means is anything closer will be blurry. I found the zoom versions can focus closer, in the 2' area or less. What you see in my vid, though, is with the lens racked back to it's widest (which would be similar to the one you linked to relative to fov ((field of view)). IF you can afford the variable zoom, I'd go for that as then you can move the lens focal length from 2.8mm to 12mm. The one you've linked to is 3.6mm and a bit narrower fov, compared to my widest at 2.8. This equates to my widest angle of view at about 100 deg and the one you linked at about 80 deg. I'll add some links to the wider, fixed fov and the variable one I have.

One word of warning, should you go this way; the instructions, if you're not PoE (router/Lan) savvy, are obtuse (Chinese company). I had to email and eventually got direct support to set up my system re all the LAN setup. Seems real easy now but I was a complete noob. The Barlus people were very helpful though and I could help in a pinch if it gets too complicated. I know the basics that I didn't know before. Another word; if you get one of these cameras, either variable focal or fixed type, you WILL need a PoE injector too, which is a separate purchase. Wasn't that expensive and the one I got allows me to connect 4 ethernet lines (I have 2 pond cams now and one in the basement for overwintering my turtles). I'll add that link too, in case you're interested.

This is the one I have that gave you this video; (I 'made them an offer' and they accepted)

This is the one I'm currently watching as I may add another at the other end of my pond (I expanded); I like that it is 5mp as it'll give more than twice the clarity of what I have now, though it costs more than my original;

I couldn't find the 2.0 lens, wider angle version, they may not make it anymore.

This is the PoE injector (which you run to your router and your camera ethernet cords plug into); this unit provides the camera with Power Over Ethernet, allowing you to only need 1 line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh my ! I appreciate all this information ad have book marked it. I am wondering if I'd be able to figure it all out - LOL !

Ask a Question