How and could I make this into a bog filter?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How would I go about layering to make this into a bog filter? It has the water coming in through a hole on the bottom side and it swirls in and water up and out the top. I would need a screen to protect the hole from sucking gravel back down the hole and through the hose. What do you do next? Is there supposed to be a gap from the bottom up to a certain level and then a screen to stop gravel from getting down into the gap and the bottom? Then what, just fill w/all gravel and plant on top? I would hope this would never need cleaning as if so then I'm not doing this. Also wondering it it will really slow the flow of water up and out the spillway as this is my waterfall and I love the sound of the crashing water. If it is just going to trickle then nope can't do it. Thanks to anyone who replies.

IMG_4095.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How would I go about layering to make this into a bog filter? It has the water coming in through a hole on the bottom side and it swirls in and water up and out the top. I would need a screen to protect the hole from sucking gravel back down the hole and through the hose. What do you do next? Is there supposed to be a gap from the bottom up to a certain level and then a screen to stop gravel from getting down into the gap and the bottom? Then what, just fill w/all gravel and plant on top? I would hope this would never need cleaning as if so then I'm not doing this. Also wondering it it will really slow the flow of water up and out the spillway as this is my waterfall and I love the sound of the crashing water. If it is just going to trickle then nope can't do it. Thanks to anyone who replies.

View attachment 142097
@j.w ; just layer with first, 4" stone, then 2"stone, and lastly, pea gravel. Put shallow root bog plants so you can easily thin and prevent clogging. Their might be some variance re flow but you can just up the pump specs/flow to this new bog. Use all round stone, nothing with sharp edges.

Good luck and welcome to the BFC!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn can't upgrade the pump as it is already a 4280 gph. Not willing to spend more bucks for more power. I would not want to put this all together and then find out it would not be fast enough falls for me. I think going through all those rocks would really slow it down. Not sure tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@j.w you could just add some plants to the top to add some bio filtration. I've seen people just plop a canna right in a Biofilter or a hosta or even some floaters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hole in the bottom what size is it ?
Is there a thread inside this Hole?
set up a pipe to feed the " HOLE" AND THEN JUST HAVE THE HOLE with a piece of pvc pipe where you cut the slots iint he bottom of that pipe and they face the bottom. then just fill the whole are with your 3/8" pea stone but stop just below the weir. Thta is too small to play games with different sized rocks and layers just fill it with the 3/8"
"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Darn can't upgrade the pump as it is already a 4280 gph. Not willing to spend more bucks for more power. I would not want to put this all together and then find out it would not be fast enough falls for me. I think going through all those rocks would really slow it down. Not sure tho.
you can have 2 feeds from your main pump to your new falls-bog; one that feeds to the bottom and rises, and another that flows on top. This gives you control on how it looks while still forcing some water to the bottom so your bog can do it's thing. Put a ball valve on each feed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 you mean just float it on top or put a pot in there?

Either way. I've seen people drop the whole pot into a biofalls - that's more for the aesthetic of having a plant growing at the top of the waterfall. But there would be no reason you couldn't grow a plant right in the water. Or, yes, float some hyacinths right on the top. They may initially want to flow out with the waterfall, but when they get big enough and put down a good root system they will stay put.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have water willow growing just floating in the water, easy to pull when it gets growing too good.

Ask a Question