How are all our members snowed in in the US Coping ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting frightening reports of huge amounts of snow falling across the United States to as Far down as Florida .
The depth of snow we are seeing on the News reports are 6ft + in places .
Now they are worrying about a thaw and flooding should all this snow melt over the next few days so take care when traveling if you dont need to go out doors sit tight until it all melts
We are thinking of you all out there in the US affected by snow

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
its all bad from the news that I hear, and they are evacuating people out of trailer parks and old folks homes cause roofs are collapsing. It only affected Buffalo NY I think but I heard they got now 7 feet of snow!
0.jpg
o-BUFFALO-SNOW-570.jpg
ap956328495462_86103_990x742.jpg
5886901_G.jpg
Buffalo-1024x645.jpg
ss-141119-record-snow-wny-07.nbcnews-ux-1040-800.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We are getting frightening reports of huge amounts of snow falling across the United States to as Far down as Florida .
The depth of snow we are seeing on the News reports are 6ft + in places .
Now they are worrying about a thaw and flooding should all this snow melt over the next few days so take care when traveling if you dont need to go out doors sit tight until it all melts
We are thinking of you all out there in the US affected by snow

Dave

Thank you for your concern Dave. For accurate reports regarding weather across the United States I suggest you go http://www.weather.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your concern Dave. For accurate reports regarding weather across the United States I suggest you go http://www.weather.com/
Thank you big Lou our post was more out of concern for our online friends and how you are all coping with the bad weather hitting the US , here we are awaiting our next storms with trepidation as the storm damage to our beaches last winter was not replaced by mother nature and man can only do so much.
It seems a pattern is forming you get the freezing and because of this and other happenings further afield in the Pacific weve been beset by storm fronts , weve already had two so far this winter .
They had forcast blizzards in the UK for November but it seems they got that one wrong:(

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In Maryland we have a frozen pond, not even one snow flake. Colder than normal, but not horrible, just in the teens, 20's. Going back up to 68 on monday.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Thank you big Lou our post was more out of concern for our online friends and how you are all coping with the bad weather hitting the US , here we are awaiting our next storms with trepidation as the storm damage to our beaches last winter was not replaced by mother nature and man can only do so much.
It seems a pattern is forming you get the freezing and because of this and other happenings further afield in the Pacific weve been beset by storm fronts , weve already had two so far this winter .
They had forcast blizzards in the UK for November but it seems they got that one wrong:(

Dave

Let us all hope and pray this seasons weather levels off. We wish you and everyone in the UK the best during what seemingly may be a hard winter.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
About 200kms north of Buffalo is Toronto, no accumulations to speak of......just cold.

Buffalo always gets the lake effect snow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, but no snow here to speak of. I think the news probably makes it looks like it's everywhere but is is just a few areas that got hit really hard. I think the arctic cold wave had a bigger impact on most folks than the snow. It's been 30 degrees colder than average here and a lot of places in the South had all time record lows for recent dates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Keeping our fingers crossed for you all , this last 24hrs has seen torrential rain in our neck of the wooods with more to come tomorrow so I think the pond will be done later than sooner this weekemd .
Yes as CometKieth says, it sounds like to us here in Europe that the whole of the US was caught in another polar vortex

Dave

Reaction score
Dave,

Yes, it was another polar vortex for certain. I don't recall the exact day, but on that day, some part of every one of ALL 50 states experienced temperatures below freezing. That is an oddity because that meant that it included California, Sunny Florida, Hawaii and even Minnesota!!!

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Those snowfall amounts are downright dangerous.
Our thoughts are for their best efforts in getting through it safely.
The most I've been in, in 1 day is 3 feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about ready to hunt this guy down and feed him to my fish https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...we-will-have-a-mild-winter.15948/#post-248349 What a difference a month makes. It's been cold here in KY for the past 2 weeks, and we've had about an inch of snow, but like most, we should be in the 50's this weekend. Good thing for the wooly worm.
Sadly cnyle if you do that with him , then you'll poison your fish my friend . if your going to feed caterpillars to your fish make sure that they are the smooth skinned variety , which in this weather will be all tucked up in bed :lol:
Whats even more worrying and the Govenor of New York State seems to have picked up on quite quickly is the melt , some places have had a whole years snow n one day , so when things melt they have to go somewhere .
Personally I wouldnt like to be living anywhere near the rivers when this happens as I've a feeling they wont be able to cope with the huge amount of melt water .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,

Yes, it was another polar vortex for certain. I don't recall the exact day, but on that day, some part of every one of ALL 50 states experienced temperatures below freezing. That is an oddity because that meant that it included California, Sunny Florida, Hawaii and even Minnesota!!!

Catfishnut

Quite frightening when you think it all through how mother nature just through flexing her muscles has affected so many states Hawaii is the one that got me it being nowhere near the US and all i;e out in the middle of the pacific

Dave

Ask a Question