How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks. That makes sense, especially the gas station thing. If I'm not driving I won't have to stop & fill up the tank. And, yes, a whole lot of people really aren't thinking of others when they are making their choices of activity, I can imagine. In my 'neighborhood' we're spread so far apart, and so lightly populated, I can go out & walk for miles & not see another person even when there isn't a pandemic telling people to stay inside. (The majority of residents/owners are part-time) It's harder to FIND people than it is to stay away from them!
While many of the state parks are open for hiking, all the 'gathering' areas are closed: restrooms (for the places that have them) picnic shelters, campgrounds, guided walks, etc... And a few of the parks have closed completely. When we go hiking, we don't tend to frequent the busier trails anyway (I'm not out there on the trail to see people! lol) So far when we've encountered other hikers, everyone's been very respectful of space & stepped way off the path so we can all pass at a good distance. Using common sense, you know (which sadly isn't really very common at all!) This is where we went on Friday -
All about Abby day 07.jpg
All about Abby day 08.jpg
All about Abby day 10.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 even if you could drive to your boat, you aren’t allowed to use your boat right now unless it is for sustenance fishing or crabbing.

Well we have fishing poles, crab pots, but no license to use them! We are fine just staying home. Both of us in the danger age, hubby more than me with his health issues,. We just want to stay alive so no issue with staying away from everybody.

We checked the hives, the owners stayed around 30 feet from us and we chatted! They say, so far, they are healthy.

I believe, we, ie hubby and I , will not relax our distancing until there is a shot, a cure, a vaccine. OW we can do all this then run into a carrier and we are history.

We have gloves in the car just for gassing it up, so far we just went once, needed gas for the mower. CC is cleaned before put back in wallet.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well we have fishing poles, crab pots, but no license to use them! We are fine just staying home. Both of us in the danger age, hubby more than me with his health issues,. We just want to stay alive so no issue with staying away from everybody.

We checked the hives, the owners stayed around 30 feet from us and we chatted! They say, so far, they are healthy.

I believe, we, ie hubby and I , will not relax our distancing until there is a shot, a cure, a vaccine. OW we can do all this then run into a carrier and we are history.

We have gloves in the car just for gassing it up, so far we just went once, needed gas for the mower. CC is cleaned before put back in wallet.

Sounds like you are doing all you can to stay safe. With me I worry not so much for myself ( I am in my late 40’s with no major health issues) but for my parents and in-laws. I am a contractor and my business is deemed essential in MD, so I do the best I can cleaning my hands after i am done getting fuel or getting supplies from HD And stay well away from others. Fortunately, we arent close to others with our work, but still as GBBUDD mentioned all the hot spots where a lot of people have touched door handles, fuel pumps, credit card at gas stations and self checkout in stores and other innocuous ways to pick up a virus. So I stay away from especially my parents and in-laws, pretty much everyone I come around I stay away from just on the chance that I am or they are an a symptomatic carrier.

Definitely have had to change my mind set on keeping my hands clean and my men safe, I am used to my hands being dirty with fuel, grease, all kinds of stuff and only cleaning my hands at lunchtime and after work. Used to safety just being from physical injury with heavy equipment. Now I pay attention to what my men touch, not touching my face until my hands are clean, constantly cleaning my hands after touching various things my guys may have touched. Reminding my guys to stop getting tools out of my truck( I will get them) to limit what they are touching, don’t touch their face, don’t share tools, do their best to give each other space, don’t cough/sneeze into your hand, wash hands regularly, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , gosh, sounds like we have similar neighbors ! We have several who post regularly on the neighborhood FB page, noting how many neighbors drove their cars that day....where could they possibly be going and on and on !!! One has a relative who works at Lowes, so she knows if neighbors are buying non essential items !

My Mom is 84 and in FL. Her elderly neighbor made arrangements for a police officer to drive them to Cincinnati. The officer will not stop ( obviously if they have to go to the bathroom ) for them to sleep etc......going straight thru ! They have masks, gloves and hand sanitizer. I'll be relieved to have Mom here with us. Just got an update today, that the police officer had trouble finding flights, so is flying a circuitous route to get to them....they are then to meet him at the airport and they'll set off immediately ! All of Mom's neighbors have left, so she's basically alone in her development.....can't wait for her to arrive here safely.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Today there was a ton of people in our area walking and riding bikes. Usually there is no one!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So far only 6 cases here in my county and people are being careful .NJ where my son is not so good .Went to the store today and no one on the road until I got to Martinsville

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Definitely have had to change my mind set on keeping my hands clean
I had years of hospital hand training. In the 40ish years I worked in a hospital, never picked up the flu or all the other stuff that floated through. We were trained on hand control . Even now I never open a door with a bare hand, restaurant, bathroom, store etc. use my shirt, or whatever I have on. Never use a finger tip to press a button, use my knuckle, very seldom touch my face. Now even more aware of my hands than even working in the hospital.

If I had happened to use my hand to open a door I would go and wash my hands, mainly at a restaurant. Used napkins to hold that darn dirty menu, very seldom used pepper salt, dirty things they are.

Now wash my hands no matter what we are doing over and over and over

Worse part is, sitting here stripped clean hands touch my nose and go oh s--t! I touched my face...............geez!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We now have people driving around taking videos of other people doing things they don't believe they should be doing and posting them. It's insane. People need to understand that ultimately the only one you have control over is yourself, and some of us have problems even with that! Unless you want a police state, which is not a preference of mine.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We now have people driving around taking videos of other people doing things they don't believe they should be doing and posting them. It's insane. People need to understand that ultimately the only one you have control over is yourself, and some of us have problems even with that! Unless you want a police state, which is not a preference of mine.
i couldn’t agree more, it seems like recently (or may be not recently)we have become the land of the perpetually offended.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I try not to offend others in the past. but it has gotten so out of control it's way not funny. And I partly blame my generation for a good deal of it . if it wasn't for The FEAR of my father I know I would have run out of control and did quite possibly a lot of what we see today. If we ever picked up bike racks through them threw windows the cops would have had some lessons for us long before we made it to the station. Then dad would have ended the tantrum. No I wasn't abused but I got what I deserved when I did wrong. Today some how the people who deal with the worst of society have become the bad guys. The people who are offended on Twitter and Facebook WHO CARES LET THEM HAVE THERE TANTRUM. what do you do with a kid having an attention getter moment. you sure as hell dont coddle them. You dont put them on the news and let them continue there TANTRUM YOU IGNORE THEM . if i had three wishes it would be to eliminate Twitter , Facebook , and I WISH I WISH I WAS A FISH .....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would not be a harmonious neighborhood with folks like that as my neighbors. oh I would give her something to post alright..

Hope your mom gets there soon and gets off the road as soon as possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish I could stay home and weather out the storm. But i guess like many i think it won't happen to me and you'd have to be out of your mind quiting a job and join the last I heard was 10 million I'm sure that will probably double tomorrow.

Back to work

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I sometimes wonder if people can actually do math. Yesterday the news was 10,000 confirmed cases in IL and people are like "THAT'S TERRIFYING". We have 12 - no make that almost 13 MILLION PEOPLE in this state. Now clearly if you - or someone you know and love - is one of the 10,000 cases, it's scary, but for the majority of us that number is really no reason to be terrified. Careful, yes. But who isn't ALWAYS careful? Don't people GENERALLY wash their hands and avoid sneezing on your fellow humans? If not, then welcome to the world of people who don't really want to get sick.

This is supposed to be the week that our numbers skyrocket in IL. Our current positive rate for people who are getting tested is just under 14%. Are the rest of those all wasted tests? With the supposed strict testing standards, how are so many people getting tested who DON'T have COVID-19? And is that "just" the flu. These are just a few of the questions that keep me awake at night!

Ask a Question