How are you planting your lillies??

Reaction score
I really want to put mine in pots instead thats why i'm asking. I was going to do 8 inch pots with aquarium gravel. The pots are about 10inches high. Are they big enough?

Reaction score
I copied koiguy with two of mine and put them in oil change pans (new of course) and pea gravel. They are sprouting great, flower will be blooming this weekend. I also have some of the pot bags and pots you get at lowes with holes in them that are also filled with pea gravel. All are coming up fast now that the temps have stabilized here.

Reaction score
Mine came from Lowe's in a little weighted plastic bag. I just dropped them in as bulbs a couple of months ago and now I have three or four round leaves... came in a two pack with a water iris that works the same way. Do I need to do anything else?

Heath

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
Farmer Adam said:
How is everyone putting their lillies in the pond? I currently have my roots trapped under a rock. Can you pot them? How do they do best?

When I first started I used 12'' hanging baskets because I could hook them with a garden hoe and lift them and bring them close to the edge of the pond to fertilize and trim off the dying stems. The baskets with the wire hooks started to rust and break making it difficult to service them. I went on line this spring and bought 5 stainless steel buckets with handles and transplanted all my lilies in them. This way I can pick them up by the handle when they need maintance and the bucket will last forever

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
:banana:i hear ya cauzy...can i call ya cauzy? about the pea gravel...i know thats all i use for all in pond planting, i beleive Dr. Dave does the same and everyone whos started using peagravel will attest to its value...no more fertilizing, the plants feed directly from water not having to pull nutrients thru the clay!

Reaction score
last year i bought mine from a local pond lady and they were planted in a 10" planter and filled with dirt. They still grew like crazy but i had to fertilize em and i only had one lilly. I think i might switch it over to gravel this year

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
go with pea gravel...you wont be disappointed !! rinse or i should say spray all the clay out of the roots with the garden hose and trigger sprayer.

Ask a Question