How best to refill pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
As we continue to work on rejuvenating our garden pond, the new pump we bought went “ rogue“ and we accidentally nearly emptied our pond. Fortunately, I caught the situation before it was totally empty. The guppies seem fine – still swimming around happily in the amount of water left. I moved the water lilies to a basin of water, so hopefully they are content for the time being. I had a little bit of water that had sat for a week (To dechlorinate it), so I added that in. My question is: I believe there are dechlorination tablets. Should I get some, and fill the pond as quickly as possible, or should I fill my basins with water, let them sit for five days, and gradually refill the pond. With the number of basins I have, it will probably take about a month to fully refill, using that method. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 21C3847A-B88C-474C-AD30-4399421BAD61.jpeg
    21C3847A-B88C-474C-AD30-4399421BAD61.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 109

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can buy bottled de-chlor as well. I haven’t tried tablets. Do they dissolve quickly and what is the water to tablet ratio?

De-chlor supposedly begins to work as soon as it’s mixed with water. I would go ahead and start adding water and de-chlor at the same time. That’s what I do, but I fill mine up with a sprinkler.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have always used Tetra Pond AquaSafe Water Conditioner. It is a liquid. There are others out there that are good.
I add it directly to the pond as I add water from my hose. I use a $20 digital water meter that attaches to the end of my hose. This way I'm adding the correct ratio of conditioner to water. For example, I'll add treatment for 50 gallons directly into the pond, then watch the meter. If the meter reaches 50 gallons and I need more water, then I'll do another 50.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a dechlorinator filter as I'm using one for my water top ups and seems to be doing a great job. Not sure if other members would disagree.

Something like this.. just attach garden hose and the filter will remote the chlorine as well as other particles from the water column. When depleted, unscrew cap and replace filter.

1593289498974.png

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Clean Water Fun or Boogie Blue are known names in inline water hose dechlorinator filters.
For a long time, I used a de-chlor faucet filter (ordered from Amazon) and I had a digital thing on the hose to measure volume. It was too long ago, and I don’t remember why I stopped. I think I didn’t trust it and found myself adding regular de-chlor anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like everyone is voting that Should just “fill her up.” I thought I had read somewhere that you should do it gradually, but it sounds like none of you are advocating for that approach. Thanks for sharing – I will review further.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The important thing to remember if you are using a hose to refill the pond is to either stay at the pond or have a timer. I set either my kitchen timer if I am in the house or a timer on cell phone if outside. Too much chlorinated water, not enough dechlor= dead fish.

Ask a Question