How big are trapdoor snails when they're "born?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put them in a tank at first and could not take my eyes off all the babies being born

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do you know if your TD snail is "expecting?" Well, there is an answer for that -- who knew!

How to Tell if a Livebearing Snail Is Pregnant
If you have a livebearing snail like a Japanese trapdoor snail (Viviparus malleatus), the eggs will be visible in the mother snail's shell. The eggs will hatch in her shell, and the babies will remain there for the first stage of their lives. Many species of Viviparus will bury themselves in the substrate until their babies are ready to emerge from the mother's shell. If your snail has buried herself in the gravel, she's likely to be pregnant. Livebearers often reproduce only twice a year and produce small broods compared with those of egg-layers.

And here's a link that talks about some in-general information about them.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...xing-Japanese-Trapdoors-(Viviparus-malleatus)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat info, I never did look them up to see how they did it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guessing these guys are guys....?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now, when I look at one of them, all I see are the antennae, LOL!

Reaction score
you guys have me thinking i need THESE also! :) (along with oyster shells and clams)
so - the question about these would be - do they die off in winter? I am in Houston - zone 9

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they are cold hardy but not cheap either and fish do like to eat them and if I had known that I would not have put them all in my pond I would have kept some in the fish tank .I learned the hard way

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
you guys have me thinking i need THESE also! :) (along with oyster shells and clams)
so - the question about these would be - do they die off in winter? I am in Houston - zone 9

From what I understand, they can survive winters, but I don't know to what "degree" [no pun intended, ha, ha!]. This current winter was my first time with them in the pond and they seem to be doing fine -- and I'm only one zone above you [LA]. The winter before this I had some Mystery snails, and not a single one survived.

But, do you have koi or goldfish? I have goldies. Apparently koi like to eat snails.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have them in all of my ponds, even shallow fishless ponds that almost or do freeze solid, so far they have survived our winters. The goldfish seem to ignore them, I have huge ones in the big pond.

Reaction score
good to know about koi eating them.. right now the new koi are smaller - nothing bigger than 6" and the smaller ones are 3 to 4"
I did notice they are NOT cheap... might have to keep a few in the indoor tank also then...
choices choices - the pleco i have was meant to go to the pond part time...
I then have thoughts about the Hi fin banded sharks - as those can survive our mild winters here... and now these IF they survive the KOI :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They have become established in several lakes and ponds around here. If they can survive OUR winters, they can survive yours!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Finally found what I assume is a female, based on the appearance of the antennae! Here are pictures of a boy and a girl for comparison....

image.jpg

Maybe I'll get to be a grandma!

Ask a Question