How big of a container for a dwarf lilly?

Reaction score
Starting this spring, I'm thinking of having my first outdoor container water garden. I've got a couple of nice, healthy nymphaea Stellata that I grew from a bulb (after a year, it decided it was lonely and made more of itself). They seem to be growing fine under about 8" of water, and the first submerged leaves reached the surface today, so I'm hoping to get some pads soon. My problem is, my tank has a small footprint, only a 6"x6" hexagonal (imagine a 6"x6" square with the corners chopped off) and even just one plant can cover the surface with pads...I have 2 plants plus a bazillion coming off the bulb, so clearly, at least one plant will have to move out.

My question is, what is a good sized container for a dwarf lilly? The pads on this one, last time it had pads, were only about 1.5" across, but assuming it'll get bigger under the sunlight, I'm not sure how big it'll need to be. Most likely, it'd be something about 12"-18" across, and at least 8" deep, would that work? Also, I'm clueless as to what else I would need to do for it. I'm great with plants, as long as they stay in their tanks, in their pots, or in the flower beds! lol I've never done any of this pond stuff yet.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could get a small preformed pond from one of the home depot type stores.
I had some small footprint lilies in my deck pond which does not have a lot of surface area or very deep, the lilies did fine. Mine for the deck pond are small lilies, not the miniature.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lowes sells a half barrel plastic container for about $20 that will work great. I have used them for the last year to keep several kinds of pond plants in including small water lily's with pretty good sucsess. Here is a pic of one of mine.

Attachments

• aleah michael weekend 070.JPG
    aleah michael weekend 070.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 247
  • aleah michael weekend 075.JPG
    aleah michael weekend 075.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 333

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larkin do you do any water changes on these or have fresh water circulating in them? They look great.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
neat idea Larkin, those would look nice on our deck.............going to look into them

Reaction score
Those look nice, how big are they? I don't have a huge area to work with, and I'll have to remove a rotten stump to make room for it. If it's small enough for me to bring inside for the winter, that would be great

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They hold about 4-5 gallons of water, I put a few small snails, and one or two sailfin mollies in there once the water reaches 70 degrees. I do change out some water each time they need topped off. I tried one last year and had a small air stone in it and it did better than the other five so I was thinking about trying air this year. They are neat and you would be surprised what all grows in there very well. Dragonflys love laying eggs in them, I have tadpoles that are still doing great even through the winter. I like using them to start small plants until they get large enough to move to the bigger ponds.

Reaction score
That sounds about perfect. There's an automatic sprinkler system in the yard that might help with topping off. I'm still not sure what other plants would work, the pond would be framed with tall-ish iris, some sweet williams, snapdragons, marigolds, primroses...oh, and an obnoxious infestation of mint. Probably going to have birds loving it too, if I can keep birdfood/ poop out of the pond. So far on my plant list I've got my lilly/ies and probably a bunch of anacharis

As for fish though, maybe a couple of guppies or white cloud minnows. I probably wouldn't use mollies because they get fairly large for a small fish, and they like having salt in their water, some can completely convert to marine life. White clouds like cooler water, and apparently can survive under ice (maybe), and since this is a sunny spot that gets rather hot, I'll spare them. Guppies it is then! Ironically, my local pet store has some really lovely ones they call feeder fish... HA, those can turn into some of the prettiest fish I've seen! (and come on, 5 for $1 is a helluova price)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use one of those barrel type things they sell at walmart for about 7 dollars .I have them in yellow and used them as planters for some shrubs around my pond .They hold a lot of water .I just got 2 more at walmart to transfer some of the water hyacinths into that I over wintered in the basement .They are really deep at about 2 feet or so and at least that wide .The ones I just got were 4 dollars a piece but usually are around 7 dollars .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

These are the yellow ones I had in my media as you can see they hold a nice size plant and are nice and sturdy the new ones I got are black and they do come larger for 10 dollars .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have my lotus plants in blue ones like your yellow ones Sissy. Then put those tubs inside a 300 gallon stock tank. They are cheap and do work well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I have had those yellow ones sitting out there for 5 years and not one crack in them and even the rope handles are intact surprised me they held up .I got those at big lots for 5 dollars LOL and even the sticker has held up over the years .I used them before that in the back of my lawn cart to haul around water to water all the new trees I planted .I just got the new black ones at walmart last week .Darn water hyacinth in the basement are so crowded I had to seperate some out and they seem to grow better in the totes than in the tanks .I think maybe the roots don't like the light

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So you got your water hyacinth to really grow good in your basement sissy? What kind of light did you use and how high up away from the tubs do you have the light? Did you add fertilizer or anything and did you have to change water or add a bubbler or filter to the totes? Oh and what about the temperature of the water or room they are in?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are in the basement and only light they get is from the windows and have a 4 way aerator with a hose going to each tank and no filter same water I put in there to start with basement does not get that cold as it is well insulated last time i checked water was around 50 degrees .I guess it would be similar to hydroponics set up ,but with no water circulation except for the air going in the water .Wasn't sure it would work but guess the mild winter and all the sun it did .The ones in the fish tanks are not doing good so think maybe they don't like the light on there roots ,not sure .My black elephant ears started sending up new shoots down there a couple of weeks ago i guess .I did not notice them until today .The crotons I bought are doing great and I may have to transplant them .Just went out since it is up to 50 here today

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow just the light from windows.................I might have to get some of those suckers and give them a try next winter. You are talking about the hyacinth and not the water lettuce right? I could try them in my computer room w/ south facing windows and put them in tubs w/ air-stone's and see what happens. If I could get them going and put them out when our temps get warm I might be able to keep some in the pond. We don't get so warm around here ever for very long tho so not getting my hopes up!

Ask a Question