How can i get rid of fish?

Reaction score
Some years ago we had 6 goldfish in the pond. They caused no problems. The pond was a haven for wildlife, toads newts frogs all bred here. We then bought in 3 coloured fish Shubunkin???. They cross bred with the resident fish and produced 100's of boring brown fish which have denuded the pond of all its natural wildlife. We welcomed the heron but they are so quick and elusive that it only fished out the brightly coloured adults.
these fish are now 3 or 4 years old and for the first time ever we have had no frogs at all and the newts are gone.
The only thing I can think of is to drain the pond and remove them.
Any suggestions?
Louise

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have shubunkins and goldfish in my arizona pond for 8 yrs now. Don't have any brown fish. The goldies and the shubies are pretty large now with some small ones.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe those brown ones just haven't changed color yet. Sometimes it takes my goldfish years to turn orange. Some turn when they are really little and some get quite large before they change. The frogs could be leaving cuz you just have more fish now and they can't compete. Any fish are gonna eat any eggs they can find when they get hungry and I bet those eggs make fine hors d'oeuvres :lol:

Reaction score
Here are the brown fish, in the sun last summer. There are nearly 100 of them.

Attachments

• fish in pond.jpg
    fish in pond.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 853

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The brown looks kinda reddish in there if you look close. I think they will eventually change to red or combo colors. I wouldn't get rid of them as you might be losing some nice ones. They look very healthy. Or if you just have too many you could prolly sell them or give them away on freecycle.org

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Drain your pond to a lower level, with less water you will have better success in catching them. I used to do that with my fish tank 175 gallon one, to catch the fish.

The Real Koi Lady

Koi Professional
Reaction score
Goldfish start out brown/olive/black color and most change to orange or white or a mix of both. If they were Shubunkin mixes you'd see them look kinda translucent and blotches of other colors on them...yours look like typical goldfish. Drain it down and catch them and take them to the pet store. Maybe they'll trade you for some new Shubunkins or fish food.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, that would be better than wiping them out. Maybe there is a store near they can be taken too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't forget about freecycle.org as I got some of my fish for free on there and lots of peeps have started new ponds and would love to have some free ones :fish:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aye yes but just watch out for killers or thieves that just want to scope out your place :fish:

Reaction score
You dont want to just ''get rid of them'' that's not a nice way to put it, what you want to do is go to the local fish shop,(pet shop) and see if their willing to take them of your hands, if not put them on ebay, see if anyone would be interested in buying them, if not I suggest you give them to a good friend that owns a pond, or even advertise the fish in the newspaper offering them cheap so you can as you put it ''get rid of them''
:regular_waving_emot

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
j.w said:
Aye yes but just watch out for killers or thieves that just want to scope out your place :regular_waving_emot

JW, I think you are over reacting.
I have had severral thousand people here over the past 5 years of advertising on Craigs List without a single incident. I think that if thieves and others are out to get you, they are not going to use a media that is mostly low income buyers and junk you are trying to get rid of.
A criminal is going to look for Estate Sales and people who have expensive items for sale. These are not as likely on Craigs List. Serious money uses other media as their prime advertising method.
What would a thief do with fish, plants and the related equipment?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe I am but what about the Craigs list killers? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist_Killer
I know it's likely that nothing will happen but I think people should be very careful when allowing someone they don't know to come to their house especially if they are a woman and alone. Have someone there w/ you just to be safe and keep all your guns loaded and one stuffed in your pocket...................kidding.........well maybe a little derringer :regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question