How can I please my homeowners association?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
my wife and I have moved into a new home (new for us) and plan to put in a 12x12 pond with a 15 ft creek feeding it. We are using a local company that builds 40 to 60 ponds a year. Our HOA has had several questions and after meeting with them again today I received an email questioning if I could turn off the pump during the night. I had explained that we are not installing a huge waterfall and that they really should run 24/7. I want the pond so what could I do to be able to shut down the pump each night?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could have a pump that runs all of the time, have a T, the night water, is the part of the T that flows into the pond with no splash, the entry pipe below water, the day part of the T feeds your waterfall. Adjust the flow at night to shut down the waterfall.

And welcome to our group!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you are going to have Koi, you will need biofiltration 24/7/365. To enable this you will need a pump circulating the water through the biofiltration. Consequently, if you have Koi, the pump must run continuously. Goldfish can be kept with a lower level of requirements. If stocked correctly (no biofilter) pump could conceivably be run only during the daylight hours

Reaction score
Fish is fish. 50 lb of Koi and 50 lb of Goldfish have the same basic needs. A few small Koi would likely be fine without a pump if some other measures are taken. Depth of pond, amount of food, your climate, and most importantly how you view fish...pets, cherished family members, decoration, etc... I'm guessing this will be an Aquascape pond which normally is more for a landscape feature than an interest in fish. The fish are more decorative. Many Aquascape ponds are cleaned once a year and new fish are added as need then.

To the question...I deal with HOAs here in Phoenix a lot. First, if they actually only asked a question then that's easy...YES, pumps can be turned off. Always be positive, flexible when just chatting. Only if they put it in writing as a condition of permission do you have to get into trying to convince them. If needed you can offer that if anyone has a problem you'd of course be happy to turn off the pump at any time. They're trying to cover their butts...help them. Besides, you'd be giving up nothing. Even with permission an HOA can still come back later and say sound or smell breaks the rules. So you're offering give them power they already have. People like that.

I also point out that the pond will have Mosquitofish so the pond will be a "mosquito sink". They'll ask what that is and you can tell them that instead of mosquitoes laying eggs elsewhere nearby they will lay in your pond where the Mosquitofish will consume them. So fewer mosquitoes in the neighborhood. Then list some horrible mosquito spread diseases like West Nile. Whatever disease is a hot topic in your area or is being pushed on Fox News. That stuff scares the crap out of people. They'll probably all want a pond.

Bottom line it's an HOA. You agreed to all the terms. Don't get bummed out. Lots of people here go to war with their HOA and that never goes well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can they do like colleen she has no outside filter .She uses the inside the pond filters and they could use an aerator to help aerate the water

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fish is fish. 50 lb of Koi and 50 lb of Goldfish have the same basic needs.

While the term "fish is fish" is literally true, the underlying implication is not. Just within the two species mentioned, Goldfish and Koi, even though they are taxonomic cousins, two major differences standout.
First, Goldfish are extremely more tolerant of low oxygen (even anoxic) conditions than Koi.
Secondly, Goldfish have a considerably higher tolerance of Ammonia than their larger cousins.
Just these two differences indicates that a need for water movement would be certainly more of a requirement for Koi than Goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You could have a pump that runs all of the time, have a T, the night water, is the part of the T that flows into the pond with no splash, the entry pipe below water, the day part of the T feeds your waterfall. Adjust the flow at night to shut down the waterfall.

And welcome to our group!
This is a really great idea! Smart!
And welcome from me too!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is I have taken koi out of abandoned ponds that have been in them for years with no pumps no aerator and they have adapted and are healthy .I have seen them since in the new home they were taken too and they are still happy and healthy .It amazes me to this day how some of them can adapt to the worst conditions .

Reaction score
Yes indeed.

I'v met pond owners who wanted to clear their pond water so the the Koi would be more happy and healthy. I tell them their water is green...that's great for Koi! Humans often consider conditions to be horrible but really it only seems horrible to us. They evolved for those conditions.

But yeah...no doubt. Get a group from the local Koi club to stop by and tell you everything you're doing wrong and how your pond should be just like their pond. Hooey. Just good old human nature rigid thinking.

Goldfish will reproduce until the limit is reached and numbers will die back. Most owners don't even notice this process. No different with Koi. The main difference between Koi and Goldfish is some people consider Goldfish to be trash fish, garbage fish. It's just class stuff.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw where my koi came from at the koi farm and was amazed at the so called poor looking water .Green and yet healthy fish .If I did it over again I would only get fat fantails

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A timer could switch the pump off around 9'ish and back on around dawn

Take care not to overload the pond with fish...

Plan a pleasant tinkling fall and folk might want you to keep it going at night

Reaction score
I saw where my koi came from at the koi farm and was amazed at the so called poor looking water .Green and yet healthy fish .If I did it over again I would only get fat fantails
Yep. And in Japan people pay to keep their very expensive show Koi in mud ponds that they throw chicken manure into to get the pond good and green and full of critters. No pumps, no filters. It's like a Koi Spa to get the fish ready for shows. They understand fish. Can you imagine someone coming into a western pond forum talking about keeping fish in those conditions? The experts would fry them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why do they want you to turn off the pump at night?
The potential noise. It could be the pump, but I have since learned that it is submerged and is pretty quiet. It also could be the water sounds??? I am still waiting to hear the final vote, I know I have 1 out of five so far.

Ask a Question