How can you tell a tropical from a hardy water lily?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I needed another water lily -- with lots of pads -- because the ones I have in the pond just aren't putting out enough to shade the water. Went to a local nursery that supposedly specializes in aquatic plants. Didn't really care WHAT I got, as long as it had enough large pads to supplement what I already have.

This place must have changed since I last bought anything from them. Their water lilies weren't labeled in any way, not only couldn't you tell what the lily was, you didn't know if they were tropical or hardy -- and the salesperson even said, "Well, I guess they're all hardy because the come back up every year."

So, I have no idea what I bought. Is there any way you can tell the difference between tropicals & hardies by the tuber? Of course, I'll know in the spring if it does or doesn't survive the winter.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Tropicals grow from a central 'crown'; Hardys from a tuber or rhizome.
Tropical pads are thin with irregular or scalloped edges; Hardy pads are thick with smooth rounded edges.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Meyer! That's exactly what I wanted to know -- so this lily is a hardy! I repotted it when I got it home. Poor thing was so pot-bound! It was a tuber/rhizome thing wtih 3 separate "plants" growing off the same piece. And, as you mentioned, the pads are quite meaty. Now I hope I can be patient and see what color it is, LOL!

Here it is, waiting for me to work with it.
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like you got a healthy specimen, whatever it is!
Hopefully won't be long as I believe there is a blower bud coming up -- if I didn't stress the plant too much. There was one dead bud, but hard to tell the color. It was light like a pale pink or white.

Ask a Question