How come one of my fish's fins is bigger than the other

Reaction score
I have an orange butterfly koi that is probly a foot long. One of his fins on his side is clearly bigger than the other one. I don't like this. Is this some kind of genetic abnormality? Or is it just cause one of his fins got bit off by something and now its growing back?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an orange butterfly koi that is probly a foot long. One of his fins on his side is clearly bigger than the other one. I don't like this. Is this some kind of genetic abnormality? Or is it just cause one of his fins got bit off by something and now its growing back?

Could you post a picture, it might help them figure it out.

Reaction score
Man I'm not sure if I can catch that guy. I can say this though. The little fin looks pretty much perfectly formed, its just about half the size of the other side. Its not all tore up or anything.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it was my fish I would just watch and observe what happens, sounds like it might be growing back out. Maybe damaged at some point.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's not that uncommon for Butterfly Koi to have fins of different sizes. I'm guessing it's genetics. In small fish under about 8" it's not as noticable but as the fish grow larger it stands out more and more. I have one that is doing the same thing and I saw one at the Koi show this last weekend that was the same way and the owner was selling the fish due to the fins were different sizes. Nothing health wise is wrong with them except the fins look way off in proprtion to size and makes the fish look off balance.

Reaction score
Yeah I went to a koi farm and saw a plenty of butterfly there that had this problem. The fish is only about 13 inches long right now, but if its not gone by the time he gets to be about 20" then I'll probably trade him off or something.

Ask a Question