How contain water hyacinth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone figured out a way to "corral" water hyacinths? I've tried floating rings, pantyhose barriers tied to rocks, etc. But nothing has worked and most of the floating plants I'm trying to contain end up in the filter basket. Anybody found or created a solution for this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought floating rope from lowes or hd, can't remember, skinny stuff, just wrapped it around the plants tied it to the shore, they stayed right there.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can also use fishing line, invisible and keeps away cranes. Tie it to 2 ends of where you want it at a height that suits the plant. Done.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The only thing that would contain the original water hyacinth that I got for may pond back in early April is a coffin! It still looks pathetic. I bought another one (vibrant) yesterday along with a water lettuce.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can also use fishing line, invisible and keeps away cranes. Tie it to 2 ends of where you want it at a height that suits the plant. Done.

Yeah, this is exactly what I did. I took the bottoms of two small flower pots, tied black fishing line through the holes on the bottom and jammed a 4" rock into each pot. Then I nestled the pots/rocks among my margin shelf. The line can sit an inch or more below water and will intercept any hyacinth thinking of making a run for your skimmer basket.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I use a hula-hoop to corral mine. The leaves soon hide the hoop, and the plants stay put. Of course, if your pond gets a LOT of wind, things could change!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Large black plastic bag, roll the top down to make a collar of sorts.

Tie to a rock anchor if you have some current going on in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have water lilies, I stick my water lettuce and hyacinth in the open water between the pads, and yes the fish do move them around but each afternoon I just put them back, during the bright time of the day all my fish hang out under the foliage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone figured out a way to "corral" water hyacinths?
Yes, I have. I have made several floating "corrals" from a small hula hoop and landscape shade cloth that I float the hyacinths and water lettuce. These serve both to keep my naughty koi from shredding the plants plus shade for the fish. Eventually, the plants fill the space and the koi can pull or knock out a plant or two. BTW, if you are lucky, you can find the hula hoops at a dollar store (seasonal item at Dollar Tree here). I have also made a floater with PVC and the shade cloth. If you do the shade cloth right, they allow for a deeper root area. I use thick fishing line to sew the shade cloth, etc. So far, they have lasted three summers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I have. I have made several floating "corrals" from a small hula hoop and landscape shade cloth that I float the hyacinths and water lettuce. These serve both to keep my naughty koi from shredding the plants plus shade for the fish. Eventually, the plants fill the space and the koi can pull or knock out a plant or two. BTW, if you are lucky, you can find the hula hoops at a dollar store (seasonal item at Dollar Tree here). I have also made a floater with PVC and the shade cloth. If you do the shade cloth right, they allow for a deeper root area. I use thick fishing line to sew the shade cloth, etc. So far, they have lasted three summers.
Right, here is a ready made version: https://smile.amazon.com/Nycon-2-Fi...ywords=nycon+floating+pond+plant+fish+barrier

Also, if you don't have hula hoops or want your own size, the 1/2" irrigation tubing and a matching inline connector will do the job. I'm a goldfish only pond keeper, so no need for me for the netting on the underside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ended up using Addy's black rope (from Home Depot) trick. My wife is picky about trying to hide containers in the pond so black rope worked great. I corralled them in one corner of the pond and is has worked fabulously well. They are huge and are issuing consistent blooms. I think it may be because the koi can't get to the ones in the back so they can actually do their blooming thing. Unfortunately no blooms this morning in the picture.
hyacinth 2.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Window screen as a base works also and gives baby fish a place to hide .Just use fishing line to sew it to whatever you chose .Window screening is very useful it also protects the roots a littl so fish don't eat them all .Plant pockets to fish catching

Ask a Question