How dangerous are bobcats?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Today, I saw my first full view of a bobcat.

First, our backyard setting. We have an approx 8x8 pond. On both sides of it are a series of rough stone steps going up to a patio that is about 4 feet above the pond. The waterfall to the pond is just below the patio. To the right is the edge of our property. To the back of the patio is our neighbor's large back yard and to the left of that is a small greenbelt.

My wife first saw a bobcat about 3 years ago. I saw one disappearing into the greenbelt about a year ago. I think I mentioned it in this forum, and I've also seen one at night. Today is the first time I saw the bobcat walk on the patio and then halfway down the stone steps on the left.

When I saw him, I called my kids to come see and then tried to find a camera. But when he saw us, he turned around on the steps and went back up the steps past the patio and into my back neighbor's backyard. He was in view for about 20 seconds. He was about 2 ft long I would say.

As I said, this is the first time I've seen one in full daylight about (3pm) for so long. I wonder where he would have gone if he had not seen us, because the stone steps lead down to another small patio and to our back door. Would he have gone to inspect the pond or just walk around the pond?

In any case, since this year I have already asked the kids to make a lot of noise when going out the back and try not to let them go out there alone. So how dangerous are these cats?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always heard they tend to stay away from humans. Not like the mountain lion, which can decide it wants to prey on humans.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/bobcat/

Bobcats are elusive and nocturnal, so they are rarely spotted by humans. Although they are seldom seen, they roam throughout much of North America and adapt well to such diverse habitats as forests, swamps, deserts, and even suburban areas.
Bobcats, sometimes called wildcats, are roughly twice as big as the average housecat. They have long legs, large paws, and tufted ears similar to those of their larger relative, the Canada lynx. Most bobcats are brown or brownish red with a white underbelly and short, black-tipped tail. The cat is named for its tail, which appears to be cut or "bobbed."
Fierce hunters, bobcats can kill prey much bigger than themselves, but usually eat rabbits, birds, mice, squirrels, and other smaller game. The bobcat hunts by stealth, but delivers a deathblow with a leaping pounce that can cover 10 feet (3 meters).
Bobcats are solitary animals. Females choose a secluded den to raise a litter of one to six young kittens, which will remain with their mother for 9 to 12 months. During this time they will learn to hunt before setting out on their own.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Never had a Bobcat bother a pond that I am aware of, Chickens, small dogs kittens, and small animals whole different story. If you saw it during the day my bets it's a really hungry female with kits close by. I doubt you have a lot to worry about as far as the pond, But it would not be a bad idea to report the sighting to the local wildlife and fisheries if your in a suburban area. If it's getting that brave it could possibly be feeding of yours or your neighbors small pets.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I ran into one just down the road from us in a tree farm. It was late morning and I was just walking by myself and I saw something in the trees which I thought was a dog. Got closer and it turned out to be a bobcat and when I got close he jumped out in front of me and high tailed it quickly across the path. He was scared of me and I was so glad for that! I heard later that he was stealing chickens from a house nearby and since then haven't seen him or heard anymore about him. My friend up the road from me has a rescue bobcat/lynx mix or something like that and she thought her lovely pet was friendly till one day when she went into the enclosure and sat on a chair in there w/ it wandering around her and the cat took a bite at her leg. Left a nasty painful memory and taught her the cat could not be trusted. This cat has no claws as the bad people who had it first took them out and that is why it cannot be let go into the wild.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You guys heard of that fox experiment in Russia? They bred foxes and each generation bred the friendliest and unfriendliest? In a few generations, I don't remember how many they became tame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

The wiki article said it was a 50 year program but I remember reading it took less than the entire program. I bet you could do the same with bobcats.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe you could but your chickens would not like you anymore :biggrin: You just never know what a wild so called tame animal will do eventually. I would never turn my back on a bobcat no matter how tame they say it is. In the wild they would prolly be scared of you and not attack but if you have them in your house next to your bed you better sleep w/ one eye open.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like with most wild animals, they will only attack if cornered or threatened. Likely, you will be fine if you see one, but the key is to make it know you are there before you know its there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You guys heard of that fox experiment in Russia? They bred foxes and each generation bred the friendliest and unfriendliest? In a few generations, I don't remember how many they became tame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

The wiki article said it was a 50 year program but I remember reading it took less than the entire program. I bet you could do the same with bobcats.
John nothing is exactly tame they all have the insticts of a killer some are just more agressive than others .
Even our humble cats have that wild streak foud a shrew on our dorstep this morningand have seen the resulst's of bird and rodent kills they make time and time again.

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks for the replies, guys!
We will now be making plenty of noise when going up to that patio in the back, making sure my kids don't go alone up there, and bringing a machete with us!
Edit: I've also edited my signature to reflect that.

Reaction score
At the last place we lived we had lots of bears showing up, numerous times they were right outside the door when we went outside. Only once did we see a bobcat. My son spotted it first about 20 ft away from him sitting on the driveway when he was taking the garbage out, he came back in and reported it to me and I grabbed the camera. By the time I got outside it had moved a little further away, but wasn't particularly concerned by our presence.
med_gallery_3859_316_50538.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
John, I was reading something on facebook today of an effective and much safer home protection device. A can of wasp spray. It's more effective than mace or pepper spray, less lethal than a gun, knife, or weapon, temporarily blinds the attacker when sprayed in the eyes. It's also not considered as a weapon by law enforcement so no charges can be filed against the home owner f they spray an intruder, no matter if they are outside or inside. Plus they shot 20'+ so you don't have to be close to be effective. A can near the door is useful against more intruders than just humans, and cheap too. Might not be a bad idea to have a can close by just in case you walk out and it's there. Just be sure and don't spray toward the pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I always keep a can of wasp spray by the door. Those wasps are BRUTAL!
John

Ask a Question