How deep does my above ground pond need to be

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I'm building an above ground pond on a cement slab under a covered carport. I'm using railroad ties for the sides. I have currently stacked the railroad ties 2 high. When finished the water depth will only be around nine inches. Do I need to make it deeper to support fish? I'm at a stage where I could add another course of ties which would increase the depth to about 12-13 inches. I also need to know how to heat the water during winter to keep the fish alive. I live in Paducah, Kentucky, which I believe is zone 6. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You may experience more trouble than you want as with that concrete slab, and exposed to the elements, your pond could freeze up solid without subsequent heat. Doing that would cost some $$, so be aware. The ground is a natural heat bank in the winter and is what keeps ponds deep enough from freezing solid. In an unheated pond, the water temps at the bottom (where the fish overwinter) will be near 34 deg F. You'd have to maintain that level of heating for any success but all sides of your intended pond, including the bottom, will be subject to freezing temps. If there's any chance of putting the pond below ground, and deep enough (I would think 2' would be deep enough but would recommend 3' instead), you'd have a much better chance.

jmo.

Michael

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Agree with others. Pond should be deeper. It's not economical to "heat" a pond.

I have read where people have lined the pond with insulation. That might help a little bit.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. For fish you need more water, as they are saying above.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Check with your local building codes for how deep building foundations should be. It's sometimes referred to as a frost line.
Go 1 foot deeper than that.
In your area, it could be 2 feet deep, for example. Where I live, it's 4 feet.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you have a store that specializes in water gardens it would be worth the trip. You're pond will never be big enough for what you want to do so you'll either have to do less or have a bigger pond. 9" deep is probably limited to small native dace you over-winter in an aquarium in which case you'll spend more on the aquarium than you would on a properly designed pond for goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have nothing to add to what has already been said above, but just wanted to say welcome to the GPF! I hope you will hang around with us - we'd love to see your project as it progresses!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here in VA it is 3 feet and I live near the NC border .I know when I did footings for basement it used to be 18 inch's but since 2007 they changed it to 3 feet .My basement footings are 18 feet deep ,guy could not read plans and thought it said 18 feet .Tour slab will also give off more cold ,The cover will also cut down on sun helping warm up the pond water .

Ask a Question