Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HOW DEEP?

Have read many different opinions regarding depth for a gravel bog, anywhere from 6" to 24"+. I don't want a lot of "dead" space [so don't want it TOO deep], but do want to take advantage of anywhere the plant roots can grow.

So realistically, about how deep will a plant's roots grow in a bog? Keeping in mind, of course, that all plants are different sizes, with varying root structures.....

Was arbitrarily going to shoot for 18". But tried to imagine a below-the-surface view of a generic plant, and what it's roots would/could be doing. It makes sense that a taller plant will have a deeper root system [for support] and vice versa, but hard to picture too many of the average "bog" plants growing DOWN 18". In that case, it seems like 18" would create that "dead space" that I don't want.

Would 12" of gravel be enough depth to support the average plant? Or somewhere in between?

After my experience the other day when I was working on my "turtle bogs," and accidentally stirred up TONS of stinky, anaerobic, cruddy muck, want to do my best to make my real bog works FOR the pond and not against it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have rush, grasses type plants, the roots of mine go down approximately 18-24 inches. I have dug out a few. Other plants a foot, others 6 inches, some just along the surface all depends on the plant

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you have rush, grasses type plants, the roots of mine go down approximately 18-24 inches. I have dug out a few. Other plants a foot, others 6 inches, some just along the surface all depends on the plant

Can you give me some names?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been working in my bog since early this morning, woke up this morning with the pond about 6" below normal water level and the pump was sucker a lot of air. As I walked around the pond looking to see if I could find what was going on I noticed that the water level in the bog was higher than normal and found the leak was water going over the edge of the liner in the back of the pond. As I got in to start trying to figure out why it became apparent that the Mint I got from Addy last year was spreading at an alarming rate. It had clogged most of the surface at one end of the bog. I spent over three hours clearing out about 80% of the mint and Penny wort. Most of the roots were close to the surface of the gravel but were so thick that the water flow was being restricted on that end of the bog. IMO, 12-16" is max I would do a bog. Mine is 14" in most area's and most of the roots I have found are within the first 6-8" I have black magic Taro, Mojito Taro, Horse tail rush, touch me not, chameleon plant, Iris's of a few varieties, Parrots feather, penny wort and mint, plus a few small bunches of assorted aquatic grasses. Of all the plants, I wish I had not put the mint in. Although it did great the first year I'm afraid it may come back with a vengeance this next year as it is already growing like crazy even in our COLD weather...LOL What I was surprised to find was even digging down several inches the gunk had no bad smell, really all I could smell was fresh mint. The water in the main pond was so cloudy I couldn't see a single fish in the pond within a hour of working in the pond, as of tonight the pond is back crystal clear, the bog is flowing correctly again, and the water level is close to being full and all the fish seem perfectly fine.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I let my mint grow, but every other month or so during the summer yank out clumps of it. This is the third year, so far it is still under control, grows in just one area of the bog. The roots are shallow and easy to yank. I use one of those three tonged garden diggers to help. Love the smell! Penny wort is a floater in the big pond and one small stream pond, do the same to it, yank and toss off and on over the summer. No penny wort in the bog. I have some mint,just floating in the big pond, it has not really spread, just floats in one area, right before the pond froze over it was still green along with the parrots feather.

I have noticed any plants put in the bog, including day lilies grow like weeds, without yanking now and then they all take over. I just put in some new bog plants, waiting to see how they survive the winter. bog bean and a few others.

I keep a look out for root clogged ares.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My bog is about 16-18" deep in the middle and it tapers up from there towards the sides. I think that is plenty and would not worry about having room for the roots to grow. If you only want to make it 12" then that would be fine as well. I have a bunch of different plants in mine and won't know for another month or so how deep their roots go since that will be the time I start transplanting and thinning out.

I will second that pennywort spreads like crazy. I put it in the top of my creek and it had grown about 10' down the creek. It was a PITA to pull out because it got between all the rocks and I know I still ave some left in there just can't get it all. I would not pennywort in the next time.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is "contained" in one of the stream ponds, any that wandered out I have yanked.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, I think the mint must love the humidity and warm climate here. I filled my trailer I pull behind the lawn mower up twice yesterday, and still have way more than what I started off last year that you sent me! Sweetflag on the other hand, Not so much, still alive but still only a very small sprout.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all, for the heads-up on the aquatic mint! I have various mint plants growing in the turtle enclosures, so maybe they will be enough to satisfy my desire for mint ;)

Could y'all list some more plants that are "invasive" to some extent? Plant catalogs don't list that, though some will say a plant is a "fast grower." And there is "invasive," yet easy to control, and "invasive" that is a PITA. (For example, I will NEVER AGAIN IN MY LIFE grow Asian Jasmine!).

And of the reeds, rushes, & grasses, which ones seem to do best in a bog, and that are fairly easy to keep under control? What are some that you are particularly fond of?

Was "window shopping" last night, trying to decide what I would like to plant. Won't have a ton of room, so will need to confine my choices. In a small area, would it be best to have many different plants, or multiple of the same plant?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Horse tail rush is definitely one that you don't want to let loose
penny wort

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Horse tail actually has done very well in my bog. It grew but didn't over take, and when I went to clean out I simply lifted the whole plant up with no problem, Now that was after one growing season, Don't know if that would have been the case after two years.

Reaction score
In sub tropical central florida, I am not going to plant papyrus in the bog. Nasty roots and grows like mad. Watch the taro's, some are far more agressive than others. For example, black stem spreads horribly but black magic is well behaved. Cattails and yellow flag can both be invasive.

I have some soft rush in the bog at the ag center and so far I like how it is doing. Hot summer rainy season will tell for certain.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
One of my favorites last year was Chameleon plant. It put on a nice show and didn't get overly big and very little spreading. But it died back after the first frost and I'm not sure if it made it through the winter or not. I agree about the Taro's too, Black magic, Mickey Mouse, and Mojito all seem to do good but didn't spread to bad, Dark stem took over and I'll probably remove most of it this spring. I like how Louisiana Iris did as well, although I wouldn't recommend the natural yellow variety. It takes over most others on growth, I prefer to use it where I can let it grow large so it will really put on it's show.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmm, got good thoughts on bog depth, but this has brought up the issue of plants that can be problematic or "invasive." And by "invasive," I mean plants that can/will grow quickly and "take over" the bog -- as opposed to those listed as "noxious & invasive" for our waterways. Of course, those are often one and the same....... But I think you know what I mean.

Think I'm going to start a new thread about this so it will be easier for me to find the answers you guys post :)

Ask a Question