How deep to bury stock tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm thinking of sinking a 500 gallon Freeland poly turf stock tank into my yard for a pond. I'd like it to look like it's part of the landscape and not something sitting on/above the ground.

How much of a lip should I leave sticking above ground? I want frogs to get in and out easily, but I don't want runoff from my city lot getting into it either.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You only need to leave a couple of inches above ground and then build up a slope with soil.
You might need to have the lip higher if you have some slope in the yard that ground runoff water could overcome the raised lip.
You could plant some grasses around the edge to preserve the integrity of the slope and provide some protection for frogs entering/exiting the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy had problems with hers and my first pond was a preformed until the house was finished and we don't get really cold winters here and it would heave .My brother lives in Flatrock Michigan and he got a really large preformed and it would heave 3 or 4 times a year and it was a 1000 gallon one .He should have bought a liner and he would have saved money and a headache

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Stabilizing them can be an interesting proposition, too. That much weight can have a hard time handling the amount of ground shifting you'll invariably get. I just think, like @sissy said, a liner is so much more forgiving.

Any reason you're thinking stock tank instead of liner @TallGrassBigSky ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to know!

Did it heave and crack, sissy? I don't mind if it shifts, but cracking would be a problem.

Lisak1: Good question. I guess I THOUGHT a stock tank would be a little easier, save me time and money from having to buy stones/rocks to weigh the border down and be faster to install.

I had just planned to sink the stock tank and plant and mulch up to the edge. I already have a big garden in the back, so I could relocate plants and save some money.

I figured that a liner would require a stone/rock border around the entire perimeter to keep the liner in place. It'd add quite a bit to my budget.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I would think the thing to do would be to set it on a well drained base of 3" or so gravel at least 12-24" deep, then a layer of good weed barrier and a few inches of coarse sand or pea gravel for it to rest on. You might also bury some plastic a few inches down, around it for 3 feet or so, to drain water away. This should keep frost heaves from happening.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think addys cracked but my brother gave up on his since him and his wife decided to sell the house and down size

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My preform ponds cracked, they are removed now, not the stock tanks, one 300 gallons, one 1000 gallons. I have two buried in the ground , part way, big slope! They have been stable for years now. I did put rock dust below them for a firm foundation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for all of the great feedback.

I'm encouraged to hear that your stock tanks are OK, @addy1, although I know we live in different states.

Thanks for the advice, @sissy and @Stephen T.

I'll have to look into both options further.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't mind if it shifts, but cracking would be a problem

Shifting will lead to cracking if the base becomes unstable.

And you're right, a liner does mean rocks but in many areas you can scavenge for rocks and have it not cost you a dime. Or you could post on craigslist or a similar site and see if anyone it trying to get rid of rocks - sounds crazy, but it happens! Either deconstructing a pond or other landscape feature or on a building site. Worth a try!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
t3cae98_Welcome_Poolforum.gif

If you are worried about cracking because of settling or freezing, you could go with a metal tank. Keep it above ground or partially bury it.

Stock%20tank%20container%20pond%201.jpg

np7.jpg

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Aren't they? This is what I was planning to do before I bought the cedar raised pond. Maybe I'll do a metal stock tank for my second pond. Wait!!! :eek: Did I just say second pond?...I've yet to finish my first!...but, I'm already thinking. :D

Ask a Question