How Deep to Plant Hardy Water Lilies?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The only consideration I would give as far as depth is in the spring - I often move mine closer to the surface for a few weeks to get them into the warmer water and sunshine. They start growing a bit faster. Once it's consistently warm they go back to their usual spots. But in a 24 inch deep pond in zone 7 you may not even need to worry about that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here I sink mine for the winter, bring up shallow until they get growing. Then push around until they are spread out enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I plant in this bag will the bag stay upright?

Attachments

• 20190904_110204.jpg
    20190904_110204.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 101

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
maybe.............. the plants make a lot of root mass and the tubers grow in and out of the pot. If too many grow out you have that weight pulling the edge down. But the litter and root mass is heavy so they might do ok.

Best way to know is to try. The roots might poke through the fabric of the pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK That being said. I just removed a canna plant that was one and now it is three.The roots are huge. I haven't removed any Lilly's yet so will the roots become huge as will and need to be removed every year to cut the roots back?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I mainly groom tubers, in 2-3 years the roots replace all the clay, then I might remove some roots and replace with new clay.
If there is a lot of dead roots, black rotting look I will cut them out. If the lily really takes over i.e. a lot of tubers, I will then select the best, save some of the roots, and repot. I have not done a heavy grooming in about 2 years now.

Ask a Question