How do I (do I!?) clean the bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
So my pond sits under some trees. The caterpillars have been dropping pieces of leaves among other things into the pond for a good month or more. There is also some loose soil on the gravel from when I planted some lilies in the bog. I skim what I can from the surface but the bog has some debris and sludge and I’m not sure if I should leave it or clean it. And if I should clean it, does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to do that?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I clean the surface of my bog in the spring, before turn on, in the fall after turn off. OW I just leave it alone.
It gets plant debris, silt, junk build up but does not seem to bother it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My bog is inside my box turtle habitat, and is 50% gravel and 50% open water — it’s the “watering hole” for the turtles. In the winter I don’t do much — just let the leaves fall. But in the spring and as long as the turtles are out (April-ish through Oct/Nov) I clean up whatever falls because I want the water to stay clean, clear, and open for the turtles. The entire bog is about 6’ x 3’, so not very big.

43814847-76C0-418C-878D-E11F03293C2E.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I clean the surface of my bog in the spring, before turn on, in the fall after turn off. OW I just leave it alone.
It gets plant debris, silt, junk build up but does not seem to bother it.
Very helpful. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
My bog is inside my box turtle habitat, and is 50% gravel and 50% open water — it’s the “watering hole” for the turtles. In the winter I don’t do much — just let the leaves fall. But in the spring and as long as the turtles are out (April-ish through Oct/Nov) I clean up whatever falls because I want the water to stay clean, clear, and open for the turtles. The entire bog is about 6’ x 3’, so not very big.

View attachment 112515
Also helpful, thank you! I’ve been wondering about turtles. We live near a lake and have snappers. None have showed up yet but I was considering adding some non snapper turtles because I’m not sure if snappers will hurt the fish. But I don’t want to add anything yet because I don’t know how to care for them and what would happen to them in the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I occasionally get in the bog and stir up the surface - the water clears almost instantly. Mine is heavily planted, so not much can fall in from the top.

Turtles require a bit more than just a pond - you'll need a way to keep them contained, as they will wander. And depending on the type, their overwintering needs need to be considered. And definitely NOT snappers - those things get BIG and MEAN!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Turtles require a bit more than just a pond - you'll need a way to keep them contained, as they will wander. And depending on the type, their overwintering needs need to be considered. And definitely NOT snappers - those things get BIG and MEAN!
Yep, not snappers! @mtravigne Keep in mind that 1) mine are box turtles — they are not aquatic, and they don’t have direct access to the pond, though their bog is fed by the pond, and 2) they are contained in a very large and secure outdoor habitat.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I occasionally get in the bog and stir up the surface - the water clears almost instantly. Mine is heavily planted, so not much can fall in from the top.

Occasionally I get a radical thought to add a painted turtle but then decide I'd rather not. Lol have considered crayfish though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you deep clean the bog, remove your fish first. A deep bog cleaning can release hydrogen sulfide at toxic levels into your water. It acts like carbon monoxide binding with hemoglobin and retarding respiration. You will not be able to detect the h2s, and it won’t necessarily smell.

Ask a Question