How do I do this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks, I recently purchased a house with a small concrete pond in the back yard (5' circle and 2' deep) It was full of debris and the only sign of life were some frogs which I placed in an aquarium until I get this pond sorted out. My question is how do I set it up for coi fish and frogs. I've never had a pond so I have zero experience related to the matter. Any and really all help is greatly appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1643238492124.gif
@JohnnyOxentine
Oh boy are you gonna get lots of info on this subject for sure! First off I would stick w/goldfish as your pond needs to be a lot bigger for koi. Does the pond hold water w/o any leaks? Any sort of pump or filter in it? Do you have well water or city water? More peeps will want more info to help you. They will be here soon :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Zero leaks thankfully, it was filled to the brim with water but sadly no drain. Zero water filtration but it did have a Jerry rigged fountain type thing going on and the house runs on city water. If gold fish are more appropriate for the size then that's what I'll do.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
To drain your pond you will need a pump attached to a hose to suck out the water. Any city water will need to be treated w/Pond Prime by Seachem or something similar to remove chlorine/chloramine. You'll need some kind of filter too. Frogs will come and go as they please.
There are some pretty goldfish out there. I like Shubunkin goldfish as they have patterns sometimes similar to koi w/the different colored areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To drain your pond you will need a pump attached to a hose to suck out the water. Any city water will need to be treated w/Pond Prime by Seachem or something similar to remove chlorine/chloramine. You'll need some kind of filter too. Frogs will come and go as they please.
There are some pretty goldfish out there. I like Shubunkin goldfish as they have patterns sometimes similar to koi w/the different colored areas.
I see our house Queen of the OTG has already been here; good advice all. You don't need a bottom drain, so don't worry. To keep mosquitoes from breeding, have water movement of some kind. That fountain you mentioned would have had that effect. If you want low maintenance, goldfish don't really need to be fed unless you like doing it, as long as you have some plants and let algae grow on the sides.

Once established, DON'T powerwash/wash the pond down thinking you're helping. If excess mulm/debris/muck, then shovel/rake/net that out slowly IF you have fish in there already so you don't stir the bottom up. If empty of life per se, go to it!

Good that you checked to be sure it holds water; a lot of other problems can be fixed after the fact but not always a leaking pond!

Think on if you want to install a bog filter (lots and lots of info; just do a search here) because once established, you don't have to do anything except thin plants now and then. And it's both cheaper and better on the eyes than anything store bought, imo.

You don't want koi, as J.w says; koi can grow to over 30" easily. They require 1000 gallons for the first and 250-500 for each addtional, more or less. Goldfish like shubunkins are the poor man's koi and are great! They won't get nearly as large.

Too, your pond is shallow(er) so depending on where you live, you may have winter issues. Let us know and we can advise re that topic.

And if no one else asks, we LOVE pics! So, be sure to keep us in the loop as we love to spend other people's money and watch help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Goldfish like shubunkins are the poor man's koi and are great! They won't get nearly as large.
HEY I love my shubunkins....................and you don't need to be a poor man to have them lol................... They have great colors and patterns.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
HEY I love my shubunkins....................and you don't need to be a poor man to have them lol................... They have great colors and patterns.

Welcome to the forum!
no dissing here; and compared to koi, this is one of the most obvious times to use that expression, don'tcha know! It's kinda insane when you go actual koi shopping because you notice (eventually) what makes a $1000 koi worth more than a $100 koi, though I still would never in a million years spend that much on a fish. Just not THAT into it. And truth to tell, many of those $1000 ones I don't think are hardly better (imo) than the ones I got for well under $100 most of the time! It's when you get into the $5K range that I start to see significant color+pattern differences. And I'm not that insane, either! Despite what the OTG is saying...;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. There’s nothing I can add to what’s already been said. Please post a picture.
Here's after I cut down debris and cleaned it out. It's fairly rudimentary compared to what I see online but the previous owner said it was put together in the late 60's so I guess that explains a lot

Attachments

• Snapchat-760250074.jpg
    Snapchat-760250074.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
not to spend TOO much of your money or make you you do TOO much extra work, but since you don't have much into this inheritance, want to talk LPS? Larger Pond Syndrome? It's easier to make a big pond work than a larger as you need to pay more attention to the smaller ones (less latitude for when the water goes wonky). You could pretty easily, imo, take that out and dig larger + deeper and put in a liner (concrete ponds tend to crack sooner rather than later, even though that one looks pretty stout!).

Just an idea to keep you up at night...

:D:D:p:cool:;):oops::rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no dissing here; and compared to koi, this is one of the most obvious times to use that expression, don'tcha know! It's kinda insane when you go actual koi shopping because you notice (eventually) what makes a $1000 koi worth more than a $100 koi,
lol , I know. I love my 2 buck shubies, well some might have been 5 or so. I could not ever put out $100 for a fish in a pond that could get eaten by a heron, hawk, owl, snake..................no thanks. And even if safe I still would not buy a $100 buck fish.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Here's after I cut down debris and cleaned it out. It's fairly rudimentary compared to what I see online but the previous owner said it was put together in the late 60's so I guess that explains a lot
Pond looks like a great blank slate to start out with! Other have provided good advice, however if you want to start off with a rather low effort route you could just stick a nice fountain of some sort in the middle, slap a few plants in and around the pond, and fill it up with goldfish and frogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and good luck with your pond. You have definitely come to the right place. I would recommend to make your pond as large as you can as it will be actually easier to maintain the water quality. Totally stick to goldfish as they won’t grow too large and create the water problems that Koi will. Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All great info given.
I will stress adding as many plants as possible and even if you don't have a filter, water movement is essential.
Floating plants are great because you just throw them in and they help improve the water quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads