How do I get rid of invasive Aust. Water Clover (Marsilea Mutica)?

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm new to the forum and needed some advice on how to destroy Marsilea Mutica that has taken over my 2 yr old 3000 gal. pond? We originally planted it in pots, but it grew out and has rooted in the gravel at the bottom. We have tried to pull it out, but it just grows back. We thought about draining the pond, but I don't know how to kill the stuff. We have a few other of non-invasive healthy plants in pots in the pond.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks and GOD bless you!
Celt

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forum. Please add your closest city to your location, Oregon has mountains, deserts, oceans and so on.
You didn't mention the type of pond you have.
If it is concrete or has a liner GET RID OF ALL THE GRAVEL. It is a cesspool and a great fertilizer for unwanted plants. Your fish will be happier and healthier if you do this.

Reaction score
We have a rubber liner in our pond. Is it ok to have big rocks in the bottom instead of gravel? If I remove all the gravel, will that keep the water clover from growing? If not, what else can I do to get rid of the stuff? We also have long "hair" alge. Will removing the gravel stop the alge?
thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
celtinbirks said:
We have a rubber liner in our pond. Is it ok to have big rocks in the bottom instead of gravel? If I remove all the gravel, will that keep the water clover from growing? If not, what else can I do to get rid of the stuff? We also have long "hair" alge. Will removing the gravel stop the alge?
thanks

It will help, a lot of dirt etc gets caught up in the rocks and gravel, helps the algae be healthy

If you want big rocks on the bottom, leave enough room around each one to be able to sweep the dirt towards the bottom drain. Or to be able to vacuum up the dirt.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Hope you have a bottom drain. If not, look here:http://www.aquaart.com/drain.html for a great option (use 2or 3" pipe at least), and DrDave has the answer, nothin on the bottom is great. It won't keep looking like black plastic for long. That link is very informative as to why to do this. Good luck!

Ask a Question