Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1634247082487.gif
@Vicki G

Dig a shelf, a step down in the dirt around the edge of the pond. Set rocks on the step down in the water to hide the liner and then set more on top.
I did mine like this below. Hides liner well.

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Vicki G! Looking forward to seeing the pond when it is finished. I must say that @addy1 is a better artist on the computer than I am freehand! One observation while you are still building is doing something now to prevent runoff from your lawn into the pond. It is easier to deal with it in the build phase than trying to retrofit some sort of barrier later. The lawn will send all sorts of unwanted nutrients into your pond creating an ideal environment for an algae bloom and potential harm to fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd build a berm around it and flap the liner over that and maybe a trench around the back of that so that dirt and runoff cannot run into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Vicki G! Looking forward to seeing the pond when it is finished. I must say that @addy1 is a better artist on the computer than I am freehand! One observation while you are still building is doing something now to prevent runoff from your lawn into the pond. It is easier to deal with it in the build phase than trying to retrofit some sort of barrier later. The lawn will send all sorts of unwanted nutrients into your pond creating an ideal environment for an algae bloom and potential harm to fish.
So raise the edges slightly?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes raise up the outer dirt edge into a mound and lay the liner over it so the liner cut edge hangs downward so no yuck will run into pond. If you have it flat and even w/your yard you will have all kinds of things flowing into your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes raise up the outer dirt edge into a mound and lay the liner over it so the liner cut edge hangs downward so no yuck will run into pond. If you have it flat and even w/your yard you will have all kinds of things flowing into your pond.
that's the technical term; 'yuck'. When @Vicki G has been here longer, we'll let her in on the colloquial term, right j.w?

:happy:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update. 1 edge done I think. Just 3 more to go. Why did I start this ‍ be worth it hopefully next year when it’s all planted up

Ask a Question