how do I know if my fish are spawning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a very fat (3" long) chasing some of my Koi. Especially my big (10"). The gold fish almost looks (don't mean to be gross) sticking his nose in the koi's butt. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koi often chase each other and nothing comes of it at 3" the smaller one is two small to fertilize the eggs of the female and you would have more than one chasing the big female it would get very agressive with some damage to the female .
It is also getting very late in the season for koi to mate and if they did spawn man would you know it as there would b an overpowering smell of ammonia plus each female koi can hold up to 50,000 eggs which would have blocked your filters.
Koi keepers normally seperate off any females that have developed eggs to a large QT tank, "our own is 550 gallons imperial l with its own bottom drain filter pump 15 watt UV-C and venturie".
You would also place into the QT tank spawning mats , then when the eggs are laid and the milt spread over them you would remove the two koi and allow the eggs to develope in the best possible of water conditions...
We see this from time to time , it may well be that the larger koi is either attracted to the larger koi passing half digested food or that koi may have a prolapsed vent due to an internal bacterial infection.
From your description of your koi my first course of action would be to cut down on thefood, feed only as much as they can eat in 5 minutes and also have the larger !0" out to have a look at the vent to see if it is prolapsed .
Because if this is the case your going to need to treat this koi with either an antibiotic injection or with medicated feed.

Dave

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you Dave. I have a feeling it's to much food. The lady where I bought my last 4 koi said that I should feed them at least 3 to 4 times a day to fatten them up for the winter. But I will definitely pull the big one out and have a look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. Thank you Dave. I have a feeling it's to much food. The lady where I bought my last 4 koi said that I should feed them at least 3 to 4 times a day to fatten them up for the winter. But I will definitely pull the big one out and have a look.
Jeff have you switched over to feeding your koi Wheatgerm and Garlic yet ?
If not it might be an idea to start as you need to get them eating the right food in the run up to winter , if you cant get it with garlic you could make your own by juicing a few cloves or at must aquatic shops the should have a range of seachem products , they do an extract of garlic .
All you need do then is pour a little in a bowl add your pellets too it then allow them to soak up the extract before feeding them to your koi until we get a temperature of 10c, then we stop
Garlic has a two fold effect on koi , one it protects your koi against parasites and two in the spring when the temperature has been above that of 10c for a while you start to stimulate their appitite Koi are to garlic like that of cats to catnip.
Hope this helps ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It absolutely helps. Thank you again Dave. My wife thinks I'm nuts for treating my koi like they are our kids lol. I will definitely try that.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I don't separate the females to spawn in seperate tanks. I use spawn mops and just move them to hatchery ponds.... heres a clip inside one of my hatchery / nursery ponds.
the chasing is definitely indicative of spawning, you tend to see foam on the waters surface if it was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think we seprate two chosen koi off in the UK in the hope of getting a specific type of fry koiguy never done it ourselves yet

Dave

Reaction score
H
I don't separate the females to spawn in seperate tanks. I use spawn mops and just move them to hatchery ponds.... heres a clip inside one of my hatchery / nursery ponds.
the chasing is definitely indicative of spawning, you tend to see foam on the waters surface if it was.
oh man this can not happen!!! It looks like the Enterprise from Star Trek going into warp drive!!! Tonight I've learned to get the garlic wheat germ food and make spawn mops this winter!! WHAT do you do with all those babies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisa, Unless you are like koiguy and make an enterprise of raising and selling the babies in my opinion it's better to let nature take it's course. My pond seems to know when there is room for babies and when there is not. I don't have to do anything and it figures it out. When there are too many hungry mouths I don't get babies and when their are fewer then more babies show up!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Survival of the fittest in my pond.
Very few of the multitude make it but the ones that do are strong. Love seeing the little babies but I know that my pond can only hold so many fish. It all seems to balance out w/ big fish eating the little ones and lots of the eggs also. Feeding my fish now till the temps go down below 50's consistently to fatten them up good for winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Survival of the fittest in my pond.
Very few of the multitude make it but the ones that do are strong. Love seeing the little babies but I know that my pond can only hold so many fish. It all seems to balance out w/ big fish eating the little ones and lots of the eggs also. Feeding my fish now till the temps go down below 50's consistently to fatten them up good for winter.
How many koi do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I can't get over how big some of my koi fry have grown....it's like they're on steroids! I agree the ones that make it are strong. Next year, I'm going to watch more carefully for spawning and remove my plant nets.....that's where some eggs hatched.

Ask a Question